Most dangerous sports for kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Anyone else see this article? Softball and baseball barely make the list.

Most Dangerous Sports for Kids - mom.me

Saw that today. Not really anything new here. I used to laugh a people who openly stated their child is going to play a safe sport like soccer. The refused to believe that wasn't safer than just about every other sport.

But when it comes down to it, every physically-demanding sport has risks, many no less than the next depending the specific position or actions the child takes in playing.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
A lot of youth soccer is played with the head down looking at the ball, so collisions are frequent. For girls basketball, volleyball, cheer leading, horseback riding and field hockey are all more dangerous in terms of frequency of injury than softball.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I read the first slide and stopped. While its true that studies have shown that soccer players in high levels have more head trauma injuries, it has been proven to be from collisions and not from heading the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My soccer dd got her first concussion at age 10. Driving to goal with girl come from behind and left, another from the right. Girl from behind purposely kick out dd's feet, she goes flying head first, head bounces off ground, girl from right tries to kick ball, but kicks dd in the temple.
She lays on the ground screaming and holding her head for at least 5 minutes. I help her over to fans side, she throws up and forgets where she is.
The very dirty player that kicked her feet out, gets a whole whistle blown at her, our team gets a free kick (woupee dd was about to score anyway), and the girl gets to go on fouling as much as she likes, no penalty, just free kicks, because at 10u soccer "they are just little kids." So the girls know if they are beat on a run, just hammer the player, then that gives your team a chance to set up while the other team gets ready for their free kick. It is a pretty rough and ugly game until about 13u when the ref will start carding players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi