More illegal pitches called now in All-Star tournaments?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2009
Were in the middle of our state tournament. 1 of the girls on our travel team, their team just won the sectional finals, and is going to state. I thought they would be cracking down in IP, with all of the IP's called in the world series. Their pitcher, her back foot is clearly not dragging, but 8-10 inches off the ground. First pitch I saw, I said that's an illegal pitch. She did it all game, that was the first game on tues. Yesterday was the finals to get to state. 3 umpires, same pitcher. We sat out in centerfield. I could see from out there, how much she was in the air with both feet at teh same time. Not one IP was called in either game.

Mar 13, 2010
At 8U, my suggestion would be to warn the pitcher first at this level and then call an IP but make the pitch a ball (but no advancement of base runners).

That's exactly what I suggested. I don't think it should be "DEAD BALL ILLEGEAL PITCH" (shouted at the top of the lungs as it is in seniors) with players gaining a base, but just a 'Dead Ball' and a ball called.

Oct 19, 2009
Here’s a new one my daughter while waiting on the catcher to warm up before an inning she throws 3 or 4 pitches over hand to 3B to have a few over hand throws if she has to throw a ball to a base over hand. You throw under hand and all at once over hand and your over hand mechanics are not there and you throw it away. So she throws a few over hand.

The ump says this illegal and gives the batter 3 balls because she threw three balls over hand while waiting on the catcher, this is HS division in summer ball NSA. I could not find in the rules where it says this, anyone heard of this?

They call this and let a lot go.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know the rule in the rule book, but I have seen it before. I've seen it used both as warm up pitches, and balls called on the batter.

If a pitcher is throwing pitches from the circle, its counted as pitches.

I'm not sure from your post, but was she throwing over hand, or actully pitching (even soft ones)?

Oct 19, 2009
I don't know the rule in the rule book, but I have seen it before. I've seen it used both as warm up pitches, and balls called on the batter.

If a pitcher is throwing pitches from the circle, its counted as pitches.

I'm not sure from your post, but was she throwing over hand, or actully pitching (even soft ones)?

She was throwing over hand out of the circle in between inings waiting on the catcher, she always done that and this is the first time an ump has said anything. If it's ilegal I didn't know it.

Jan 27, 2010
Here’s a new one my daughter while waiting on the catcher to warm up before an inning she throws 3 or 4 pitches over hand to 3B to have a few over hand throws if she has to throw a ball to a base over hand. You throw under hand and all at once over hand and your over hand mechanics are not there and you throw it away. So she throws a few over hand.

The ump says this illegal and gives the batter 3 balls because she threw three balls over hand while waiting on the catcher, this is HS division in summer ball NSA. I could not find in the rules where it says this, anyone heard of this?

They call this and let a lot go.
Was the batter in the box? If it is a deadball situation and the plate ump has not given you the play ball signal, I believe she had every right and the ump is wrong. Jelly Seldon from UCLA did it during the WCWS a few yrs. back because she had throwing errors to 1st. base and used this time to throw overhand and was never called a ball. It was the championship games against Michigan.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Peppers,

while waiting on the catcher,

That umpire is all wet. I would have reported him to his supervisor and the AD.

Sometimes, when there is an injury, a pitcher will keep warming up with the SS or someone. I don't see the problem.

I agree that the pitcher should always throw to 1st base, etc. as part of the warm up.

Now, if you are specifically told "No infield between innings," that might be a different thing.

What if she had thrown to 3rd 10 times? :)

Mar 13, 2010
Sounds like the umpire would have given the first two runners the base and two balls to the next batter.

I've never seen it called on an overhand thrown. All the examples I've seen will have the umpire call it after the first pitch (and its usually their warm up, so it will be a loud 'PITCHER THAT'S ONE' The one time I saw a pitcher throw the extra ball, the umpire called a ball and then warned the pitcher)

May 25, 2010
Were in the middle of our state tournament. 1 of the girls on our travel team, their team just won the sectional finals, and is going to state. I thought they would be cracking down in IP, with all of the IP's called in the world series. Their pitcher, her back foot is clearly not dragging, but 8-10 inches off the ground. First pitch I saw, I said that's an illegal pitch. She did it all game, that was the first game on tues. Yesterday was the finals to get to state. 3 umpires, same pitcher. We sat out in centerfield. I could see from out there, how much she was in the air with both feet at teh same time. Not one IP was called in either game.

What age group?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand