More illegal pitches called now in All-Star tournaments?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
We have played two 8U all-star tournaments so far this season and I am seeing so many IPs called. It seems that the crackdown at the college and high school level has trickled down to even the 8U level! Specifically, opposing coaches are highly scrutinizing every pitcher and umpires are looking for a) any sign of a leap and b) any pitcher in her pre-delivery, taking her hands off of the ball or appearing to start and stop before delivering the pitch. With runners on base, each IP results in the advancement of one base (similar to a balk in baseball), I thought it was a ball?

Technically, I know these are IPs but I am a little surprised that they would be called so tightly at this level. Most of these girls have only been pitching one or two years. Are you seeing this at your tournaments?

Mar 13, 2010
When should they start calling them, but at the younger levels? If they're allowed to get away with them, then they won't ever change until they're older, when its much harder to change them.

If they're going to crack down on it, they should get rid of awarding a base but I personally think its fantastic.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
We have played two 8U all-star tournaments so far this season and I am seeing so many IPs called. It seems that the crackdown at the college and high school level has trickled down to even the 8U level! Specifically, opposing coaches are highly scrutinizing every pitcher and umpires are looking for a) any sign of a leap and b) any pitcher in her pre-delivery, taking her hands off of the ball or appearing to start and stop before delivering the pitch. With runners on base, each IP results in the advancement of one base (similar to a balk in baseball), I thought it was a ball?

Technically, I know these are IPs but I am a little surprised that they would be called so tightly at this level. Most of these girls have only been pitching one or two years. Are you seeing this at your tournaments?

How ridiculous! At the 8u level it is still considered the 'Learning' stage, as is most 10u play. The umpires should mention it to the coaches so they can work on it and they should NOT make a big thing out of it. The last thing a GOOD umpire would EVER want to do is say or do something that would discourage a beginning player, especially a pitcher.

To call IP's at the 8u level is just plain stupid.

Hal

Oct 20, 2009
I agree with HAL, 150%. Way to kill a kids confidence at 8 years old. Those umps should really feel proud of themselves for that one. Not sure how much of an advantage an 8 year old gains by leaping an inch and a half off the ground. They are LEARNING the game, not mastering the game!

Mar 13, 2010
Sorry Hal and Ravenswood, I disagree with you.

If they're not to be called at 8U when should they be called? 10U, well they're still learning. 12U? Still learning. 14U? But they've never been called before!

Do I think they should modify it, so that the girls don't give up a base or a ball every IP? Sure. But the quickest way to learn from your mistakes is to be called on them.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008

If they're not to be called at 8U when should they be called? 10U, well they're still learning. 12U? Still learning. 14U? But they've never been called before!

Do I think they should modify it, so that the girls don't give up a base or a ball every IP? Sure. But the quickest way to learn from your mistakes is to be called on them.

The quickest way to get an 8-year-old to cry, is for a base ump to scream "DEAD BALL. ILLEGAL PITCH" right after she lets go of the ball. Then the game comes to a stop to settle her down while she thinks the whole, big, embarrasing and noisy mess is all HER fault

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
This is a rough situation, honestly. They need to be called at some point, but when? You don't want to discourage a young player, but at the end of the day they need to learn to pitch correctly. If they make it to the All Star level, they should be throwing correctly.

May 25, 2010

There's a reason why there is no offsides rule enforced in 10u rec soccer.

There are nuances in certain sports that kill enjoyment of the game if monitored too strictly, especially for beginners.

It's a clear case of the umpires making the game about them.

Oct 18, 2009
Obviously there needs to be discretion at the 8U level. In most cases when they are just struggling to throw strikes and get it over the plate it should just be mentioned to the coaches/parents for the girl to work on it. But if a girl is taking lessons, striking out batters and obviously more advanced than everyone else at 8U, illegal and using it to her advantage... it should be called in fairness to the other girls. It will become a problem later anyway if no one calls it. They might as well start now. If they are good enough to be on an "All star" team they should be good enough to not be illegal. Illegal is illegal.

In a 12U tournament we faced a girl who was leaping and hopping. She was pretty fast for the age group and getting it up around 56-57 mph with movement giving our batters difficulty. The umps didn't call it on Saturday because they said the little hole dug out in front of the rubber made it difficult to know if she was really leaping. Our coach didn't want to argue it on a Saturday. They fixed the mound Sunday and the field ump kept calling illegal. The other coach flipped out saying it wasn't called that Saturday. As the pitcher tried to not leap she went down to about 51-52 mph... but she was now legal. They had to take her out after the 1st inning as now we could hit her.

Mar 13, 2010
That's why I agree with calling decent pitchers at that age.

Are they warning first though? Generally they will warn here if they're leaping in juniors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand