Small town problems.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
My DD played rec ball one year in 8u when she was 6 never played before played 8u because of her size she fit in better on that team. After rec season was over some people we know started up a 8u travel team, mostly local tournaments within an hour drive or so. They struggled to get enough girls we played two two tournaments with a couple pick ups for both of them. Now we get to this spring and it isn’t any better we had 8 girls another girl came out and another girl quit and we are back to 8 girls. Still haven’t played any games this spring and no plans to for the next couple weeks for sure. We have been practicing since last August and played two tournaments. My DD asks pretty regular when are we gonna play another game We are contemplating leaving and joining larger organization that is 30-45 from where we live. We picked up with this team and they asked if we were interested in joining if our team doesn’t pan out. This is a hard decision when you live in a small town and play in a small town when you know all these people outside of softball. if we leave another girl is going to leave also and the team will fold. Most of these girls will not be able to make another team. I am sure some will blame us for the team folding and the money they wasted. Just a bad situation that I’m sure is not uncommon in small towns. This was my introduction to softball if I had it to do over I would have joined an established organization where this would not have been an issue.

Sep 3, 2015
I would continue to pick up with this team 30 minutes away, and let them know you are interested in joining next season or when your current team finally dissolves.

I agree with this.

Don’t let yourself get guilted into staying with a team because they will fold if you leave. It happened to me. It’s about your DD and her development moving forward, there’s nothing wrong with that and they may be upset at first but will understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
Right now that is the plan. We have asked the person that runs the team what the plan is going forward and they just say we are gonna get some kids and we will be fine, or we will just pick up a couple girls so we can play. We also have three girls that age up next year and I am sure we will be right back in the same situation. It just sucks. My DD takes hitting and pitching lessons once a week and wants to practice at home every day we don’t have practice and just wants to play. As my wife said she feels like we ain’t holding up our end of the bargain.

Feb 5, 2019
Finish the season with this team. Practice/play with the new team now. With a few games left, tell the current coach that you will be going to a new team next year.

Jun 11, 2012
Sounds like my town except it was after 10u.
Ultimately you need to do what is best for your DD and not worry about the rest.

Jul 22, 2015
My DD played rec ball one year in 8u when she was 6 never played before played 8u because of her size she fit in better on that team. After rec season was over some people we know started up a 8u travel team, mostly local tournaments within an hour drive or so. They struggled to get enough girls we played two two tournaments with a couple pick ups for both of them. Now we get to this spring and it isn’t any better we had 8 girls another girl came out and another girl quit and we are back to 8 girls. Still haven’t played any games this spring and no plans to for the next couple weeks for sure. We have been practicing since last August and played two tournaments. My DD asks pretty regular when are we gonna play another game We are contemplating leaving and joining larger organization that is 30-45 from where we live. We picked up with this team and they asked if we were interested in joining if our team doesn’t pan out. This is a hard decision when you live in a small town and play in a small town when you know all these people outside of softball. if we leave another girl is going to leave also and the team will fold. Most of these girls will not be able to make another team. I am sure some will blame us for the team folding and the money they wasted. Just a bad situation that I’m sure is not uncommon in small towns. This was my introduction to softball if I had it to do over I would have joined an established organization where this would not have been an issue.
I've lived this scenario and seen it play out more than once. It's just tough to make a team work in a small town with only local girls because there just aren't normally enough families who are dedicated to softball and willing to make it work. As you move up in age group each time it will become harder. If you can't make it work at this age, it won't work later. Frankly, at this age you aren't missing much anyway regardless where you play. Nothing wrong with sticking around for a bit and picking up with the other team. But, when it's clear that the level of dedication or your goals don't align with the group then don't hesitate to move on. FYI- Ultimately, of the group we started with only 2 girls played select ball through 18u.

May 13, 2021
I know most kids will drop out of the sport at some point, my DD may be one of them. Just want her to have the best experience and best instruction that I can provide her with while she is playing.

Jun 27, 2021
I know most kids will drop out of the sport at some point, my DD may be one of them. Just want her to have the best experience and best instruction that I can provide her with while she is playing.
Everyone runs their own race, at 8U I wouldn't get too caught up in crossing over to the darkside. Take time work at home and enjoy her being a kid.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi