More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
A big leaguer realizing there are drills that are a waste of time. He takes a few swings off a tee to warm up and then full speed. Focus on hitting balls at the batters eye (yard) not back at the pitcher.

No you still don't get it. I am not saying any hitter should get up to the plate and attempt to hit a ground ball to the pitcher, second baseman etc. Also the drills he does support
*Hands down to the ball
*Staying on top of the ball
He mentioned about how he use to had a loopy swing, now he uses the short bat back hand drill to stay online with the ball and not loopy action of a tennis forehand top spin.

Also what do you think he means by "Staying inline with the ball" and "Not coming out"? Why do you think the pros practice going back UTM and Oppo?

Yes he keeps it simple, but do you think he's trying to go yard with the one handed and short bat drills? LOL. Another pro performing pointless, destructive drills right?

This video is very supportive of what I've been saying all along, thanks for posting, :)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Push vs whip

"Feels more like a push. Now I just want to get bat lined up and push it through"

AkbYWxi.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The reason guys preach top of the ball is due to 98% (maybe more) swing and misses are under the ball and that's not because they are trying to swing up through the ball.

AkbYWxi.gif

Jul 29, 2013
No you still don't get it. I am not saying any hitter should get up to the plate and attempt to hit a ground ball to the pitcher, second baseman etc. Also the drills he does support
*Hands down to the ball
*Staying on top of the ball
He mentioned about how he use to had a loopy swing, now he uses the short bat back hand drill to stay online with the ball and not loopy action of a tennis forehand top spin.

Also what do you think he means by "Staying inline with the ball" and "Not coming out"? Why do you think the pros practice going back UTM and Oppo?

Yes he keeps it simple, but do you think he's trying to go yard with the one handed and short bat drills? LOL. Another pro performing pointless, destructive drills right?

This video is very supportive of what I've been saying all along, thanks for posting, :)
I noticed this, he said he doesn't waste time on front toss, goes straight to velocity
He said he doesn't try to hit liners to second base anymore, raised his target.
And then what's really telling is the apology for the awful swing immediately after practicing his one hand short bat. I'd think the practice would have zeroed him in if it was effective. His next swings after swinging the game bat got better and better.
Makes me wonder if the practice swings were a waste of time.
I'd love to see the first velocity swings to determine if any of the warmup was constructive.

May 12, 2016
Pure gold right here... arguably the most prolific HR hitter since 2010. Edit: Actually he does have the most HRs since 2010.

More destructive drills.. Opposite field, opposite field, opposite field, stay on top of the ball, Hands down to, down to.

"I don't care where the ball goes"
"You wanna stay on top of the ball"
"I wanna make my hands and my bat instead of going under, It's kind of more like on top of the ball.... try to hit on the sweet spot "
"I wanna hit line drives here, in the game those are the ones that goes.."
not trying to hit HRs "...and whatever happens after that..."

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I noticed this, he said he doesn't waste time on front toss, goes straight to velocity
He said he doesn't try to hit liners to second base anymore, raised his target.
And then what's really telling is the apology for the awful swing immediately after practicing his one hand short bat. I'd think the practice would have zeroed him in if it was effective. His next swings after swinging the game bat got better and better.
Makes me wonder if the practice swings were a waste of time.
I'd love to see the first velocity swings to determine if any of the warmup was constructive.
Big deal he doesn't like front toss.. anybody on this thread say that you needed to practice front toss to be successful? Nope.

What he said was "he doesn't try to hit line drives at second anymore in the GAME". He rolled over on the outside pitch, that's why it was an awful swing, the next swing he corrected it by staying inside and through the ball... it did zero him in. That's why they practice what they practice Bobby. You've gone down a Rabbit hole Bobby.. it was a good video you posted, well it sure helped illustrate the things I have been talking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid