More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Or maybe they're impervious to bull$hit drills but you could expose your dd to them and see how far it gets her.
Then there's this from a former big leaguer who laments wasting his time, but what does he know?...he's just a guy who had a hand in Donaldson's success.

Bobby, never gets into his legs in time (this video) so he pushes the hands vs the hands being pulled from a leveraged position.

May 12, 2016
But he sure looks like he's doing a good job giving the second baseman some ground balls!
Basically what you are saying is you see no point in drills unless they are done at 100% game speed. Don't bother warming up, don't bother doing any drills for hand eye coordination, etc etc. Anytime you pick up a bat in practice or warm up your goal should be, "Hit it over the fence", whenever you field a ball your goal should be "let her rip". When hitting off the tee or any kind of hitting drill, full game swing HR HR HR, no stretch n fire, no progression drills etc.

You are stuck in a rut, unable to see the big picture, unable to understand the value in what the pros are doing. They are hitting balls hard to oppo and UTM for a reason in warm up and in drills. It helps them prevent them from getting outside and around the ball, vs inside and through the ball, it helps prevent them from rolling over or hooking the ball, vs staying through it with a nice straight trajectory.

Jul 29, 2013
Basically what you are saying is you see no point in drills unless they are done at 100% game speed. Don't bother warming up, don't bother doing any drills for hand eye coordination, etc etc. Anytime you pick up a bat in practice or warm up your goal should be, "Hit it over the fence", whenever you field a ball your goal should be "let her rip". When hitting off the tee or any kind of hitting drill, full game swing HR HR HR, no stretch n fire, no progression drills etc.

You are stuck in a rut, unable to see the big picture, unable to understand the value in what the pros are doing. They are hitting balls hard to oppo and UTM for a reason in warm up and in drills. It helps them prevent them from getting outside and around the ball, vs inside and through the ball, it helps prevent them from rolling over or hooking the ball, vs staying through it with a nice straight trajectory.
Ever wonder what drills Williams, Ruth, Gerhrig, Mantle, Shoeless Joe, Aaron, Honus, Ty.... were doing at practice to stay inside the ball?
I guess they were stuck in a rut.
I remember Ruth once saying he saw Shoeless Joe and modeled his swing after him.
Is there something wrong with the goal being to hit it over the fence?

May 12, 2016
Ever wonder what drills Williams, Ruth, Gerhrig, Mantle, Shoeless Joe, Aaron, Honus, Ty.... were doing at practice to stay inside the ball?
I guess they were stuck in a rut.
I remember Ruth once saying he saw Shoeless Joe and modeled his swing after him.
Is there something wrong with the goal being to hit it over the fence?
Not really. I'm more interested what the great hitters are doing today. Do you believe the game has evolved?

Do you think it's important to stay inside the ball?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Do you think it's important to stay inside the ball?

I think this is probably one of those phrases that we waste a lot of time on, that prevents us from moving forward. What's inside? Do people hit the outside of the ball? Do we really want to hit the inside of the ball?

iu

May 12, 2016
I think this is probably one of those phrases that we waste a lot of time on, that prevents us from moving forward. What's inside? Do people hit the outside of the ball? Do we really want to hit the inside of the ball?

iu
It is if you don't understand I guess.. does it really mean "hitting" the inside or outside of the ball?

What does staying inside of the ball mean to you? To me it means the opposite of a long swing that wraps around the ball, instead of being through the ball.

If you don't understand, yes it can be misleading

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
99% of kids open their hips as they stride, and no amount of talking about hitting inside/outside will fix that. Almost every kid's video on here does this.

90+% of kids have bat drag, and the same thing.

To me, talking about some of these issues has always been a waste of valuable time. Most people when they hear 'hit the inside the ball' will ACTUALLY try to hit the inside of the ball. This is a destructive drill, just like most cues/drills. And then 99% of people will use the fence drill by standing way too close to the fence and will ruin their swing, again using a destructive drill, that won't fix their underlying problems (opening up their hips too soon).

And I don't think I've seen a video of a kid that had a 'long swing that wraps around the ball'. I have seen kids that opened their hips too soon, and tried unsuccessfully to reach a ball on the outside of the plate.

I'm like that guy on the Framer's Insurance commercial, I've been around the block a time or two, and have tried all these drills and cues and 'fixes'. Time is your biggest enemy in hitting and pitching. Doing destructive drills only hurts our kids and wastes precious time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott