More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
99% of kids open their hips as they stride, and no amount of talking about hitting inside/outside will fix that.

90+% of kids have bat drag, and the same thing.

To me, talking about some of these issues has always been a total waste of time. Most people when they hear 'hit the inside the ball' will ACTUALLY try to hit the inside of the ball. This is a destructive drill, juts like most cues/drills. And then 99% of people will use the fence drill by standing way too close to the fence and will ruin their swing, again using a destructive drill, that won't fix their underlying problems (opening up their hips too soon).

Just because they can keep their hips closed into toe touch does not mean bat/hand path will be correct. Like I said before, if you don't understand, then it can be misleading. Most cues are useless if you can't link it to the entire swing process. Just because a kid can stay coiled into toe touch doesn't mean everything else is perfect

For the record, I agree with you about the hips, but you are starting to sound like another poster whose fix for everything was "TTB"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem many run into is paralysis by analysis. They find an issue and try to fix that issue. In the process, another issue is created, so they fix that. And so on, and so on. In many cases there are a few key things many young hitters can focus on that will improve their success rate. Will that turn them into Mike Trout? Doubtful.. But it can get them moving in the right direction while skipping the infinite loop. .

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Hitting 'inside' the ball is trying to fix something that really doesn't exist for 99% of hitters. Most kids on this site have bat drag and their elbow drags along their torso, so their arms are not reaching away from the body.

May 12, 2016
And I don't think I've seen a video of a kid that had a 'long swing that wraps around the ball'. I have seen kids that opened their hips too soon, and tried unsuccessfully to reach a ball on the outside of the plate.

I'm like that guy on the Framer's Insurance commercial, I've been around the block a time or two, and have tried all these drills and cues and 'fixes'. Time is your biggest enemy in hitting and pitching. Doing destructive drills only hurts our kids and wastes precious time.

You've been around the block, but you've never seen a kid swing around the ball??? What are the chances?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
You've been around the block, but you've never seen a kid swing around the ball??? What are the chances?
Please post a link to a video and then we can discuss how 'hitting inside the ball' vs some other drill would fix this quicker. (Enjoying the discussion. ) BTW, turn the barrel is one of 2 or 3 keys to hitting, of course. How to do that is an interesting question.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Please post a link to a video and then we can discuss how 'hitting inside the ball' vs some other drill would fix this quicker. (Enjoying the discussion. ) BTW, turn the barrel is one of 2 or 3 keys to hitting, of course. How to do that is an interesting question.
What "drill" do you think I'm promoting here? I'm talking about pros and their approach. I'm talking about how they practice hitting the ball UTM, oppo field, which helps them stay inside and through the ball. I disagree, staying inside the ball is not a red herring, it's important.

In regards to TTB.. when a poster asks for help with something like sequence and receives the response "just TTB", that is not helpful.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Staying inside or actually direct is a real thing. It’s ‘on tops’ cousin. The way some have exaggerated both cues have been tough to swallow. If depth of contact point is right, inside the ball is good.

I think being ‘direct’ to the ball is a better cue. Or ‘knob to a release point. But some take that literally as well. Just like TTB. Which in most cases becomes lose control and dump the barrel.

what’s funny is TTB is never explained. The definition always seems to change to suit the situation. Funny how that works.

the way I see it, the initial ‘turn’ of the barrel is core/spine driven and the second ‘turn’ of the barrel is hand/time induced. Watch any good pro and you will see the posture set (spine) and the barrel reacts(turns), which is setting the plane of the swing. Jmho. Happy debating boys!

May 12, 2016
I have seen swinging 'around' (not so good)the/their body...and out from(good) the/their body.....
Again JMHO.
It’s the same thing I am talking about. Could I have described it better, yeah for sure. But I get the sense most people know what I mean, and it happens a lot with younger players

Jul 29, 2013
Doing destructive drills only hurts our kids and wastes precious time.
....hit the nail on the head!
pointless drills waste everyone's time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand