Mom calls out former coach on social media in a BIG WAY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Unfortunately, i think its part of the game whether it's intentional or not.
Besides how fast is that 10yr old throwing any way?

A college coach just hit my dd in the batting cage yesterday. She's wearing her bruise proudly!
Where will it end if kids werent allowed to get hit by balls!?!?

Accidental, part of the game and expected. Not the same as on purpose

10 year olds can throw 45-50. Do you want to take one of those from 35 feet? Also the girls getting hit are only 10 as well, so not nearly as much muscle between ball and bone as there is at 18.

My dd just finished her sophomore year of college, started pitching at 9. She plunked a ton of batters over the year, sent at least one batter and one ump to get xrays. I asked her recently how many she hit on purpose and she said zero. She pitched inside when needed but never aimed at a batter. I don't see the need for it.

I can understand if a player is endangering your teammates and the pitcher decides to give that player a bit of her own medicine, but I don't like it.

Jan 22, 2011
I don't think my DD would ever intentionally hit anyone, but if a batter is crowding the plate or has a knee or elbow over the plate, she isn't afraid to throw inside. She claims she's never hit anyone inside the batters box and is pretty certain she hasn't hit a body part that hasn't been over the plate.

Her 2nd spring 10u she was throwing 47 and was hitting 50 by the end of the summer.

ArmyStrong

Going broke on softball
Sep 14, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't think my DD would ever intentionally hit anyone, but if a batter is crowding the plate or has a knee or elbow over the plate, she isn't afraid to throw inside. She claims she's never hit anyone inside the batters box and is pretty certain she hasn't hit a body part that hasn't been over the plate.

Her 2nd spring 10u she was throwing 47 and was hitting 50 by the end of the summer.

While I agree with never intentionally hitting anyone, when we face teams whose entire lineup intentionally sets up with toes on the line, I will tell our pitchers to take control of the inside edge of the plate.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I was talking to the HC for the team my DD played with last year before they moved up. He told me in their last tourney of the fall they were in pool play winning by 1 with a runner on third when the umpire called time and said this was the last batter (drop dead). The next pitch the pitcher threw was right into the hitters thigh. He said he asked the girl after the game if it was intentional and she told him yes. The HBP is a dead ball so there was no chance for the runner to score. Kinda a bad way to show her coach she was learning the game.

Worse than a HBP was the intentional catchers interference we got this year. A lefty slapper hit my DD in the BACK during a school ball game. The girl didn't take a drop step or anything and her swing was no where near a normal cut. She reached back as far as she could and swept through with the bat. Her other AB's were normal slaps so this led to some words between coaches. The next game she did it again but was looking at the catchers mitt when she hit it.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Reading through the Facebook posts on this, it sounds like there have been multiple instances of this in the past. One I was particularly interested in was where the batters were swinging at bad pitches to get out so an inning would end. He hit them so they couldn't do it. In this particular one, it says he just didn't want to risk a passed ball/wild pitch by throwing around a girl or intentionally walking her, though it seems a greater risk that would happen if the batter is able to get out of the way.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
HS game this year against a good pitcher who throws hard. She somehow managed to hit our lead-off hitter in the first AB of the first game and then hit our #3 hitter in her first AB of the second game. She didn't come close to hitting anyone else. While I can't say what the pitcher was thinking, it seemed somewhat intentional to me based on the circumstances. Not much you can do.

You can work everyday on crushing the middle!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Do umpires ever call them strikes? Because those are supposed to be strikes. Or is that just in baseball?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Do umpires ever call them strikes? Because those are supposed to be strikes. Or is that just in baseball?

Yes.

One time my family and I were staying in a motel in Indiana, and we got a cable show that was a repeat of the Indiana HS Softball Championship game from a few months earlier. Extra innings, game tied, two outs, bottom of an inning, 2 strikes on the batter. Batter gets hit by pitch, umpire calls her out, end of inning. The replay showed she moved her elbow into the strike zone where it was hit by the pitch.

EDIT TO ADD:

I forgot to mention, this was bases loaded. If the ump had called HBP, it would've been game over, since this was extra innings.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011

They should, but I haven't seen her get the call yet. When I umpire 10u and 12u rec I definitely look to see if the batter has body parts in the strike zone.

Mar 26, 2013
I’d be surprised if they left because she hit her. College coaches often view what we’d consider unacceptable behavior as being a fierce competitor. The girl playing for Utah that threw at an ump a few years ago comes to mind.
Utah coach(es) were very unhappy about it and let her know. Catcher lost her schollie even though she had already signed NLI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles