Middle school pitching distance (AZ)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of my students told me tonight, that the coach said that the pitching distance is 37 feet. This was news to me, but I guess that I never checked. I just have the girls pitch from 40 feet, unless they are playing 14U. Here in AZ. they can play TB and MS, so this particular young lady will be moving from 43 feet to 37. She is a 7th grader. What about 8th grade? I have been using 40 feet, for them, too.

Jul 26, 2010
It's 40 feet here (California), but there isn't really a sanctioning body for MS ball so I'm guessing it varies from place to place.

-W

Jun 24, 2013
As far as I know all pitching in IL. MS is 40’. 37’ seems like a strange distance.

It would not bother me if they move 7th/8th back to 43’ or everyone back to 43’, they are a little tied up no matter what they do. Just tell me the rules and I am happy. but 37'?

Another Issue is a lot of the schools have permeate plates which would need to be pulled up if they mess with the pitching distance, this is probably why they just stayed at 40’ for all ages.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our middle school adopted the 43' distance in 2010, same year it started in high school. ( NFHS ) Personally I felt it was a good move for serious pitchers.

Jun 24, 2013
Plans have a way of changing but next spring DD should pitch from 43’ then will back to 40’ in the fall for the last time. I do not know if it really matters that much, she isn’t going to jumping back and forth during a season.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Plans have a way of changing but next spring DD should pitch from 43’ then will back to 40’ in the fall for the last time. I do not know if it really matters that much, she isn’t going to jumping back and forth during a season.

It's not that big of a deal James, we got caught up in the national distance changes as they were happening for most sanctions. DD pitched 43' in school and 40' during TB.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Haha. The coach may notice me out measuring the pitching distance, today. But, she has one of my students pitching for her and one pitching against her, today. I hate to think how fast the 8th grade girl would be at 37 feet. (Probably 60 :) )

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez