Travel vs. School vs. Private Coaching Conflicts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2023
There are lots of things wrong with wrist flicks if you want kids to learn to throw the ball properly. Wrist flicks are objectively not the "basics" because they don't exist in an actual high-level throw.
Learning to do things the right way is important with any drill.
Snapping wrists can teach players not to push the ball. Nothing wrong with learning.

Jan 22, 2011
Snapping wrists can teach players not to push the ball. Nothing wrong with learning.
The 3 resources I posted show how the wrist snap drill actually causes the ball to be pushed.

Jan 24, 2023
The 3 resources I posted show how the wrist snap drill actually causes the ball to be pushed.

and 1:47 point of video below:

Did not say I like those drills. Don't care for stagnant arm. Don't care for turning ball backwards either. But wrist snaps can be done in a regular throwing movement to help direct accuracy and create more spin. Difficult part of website chat room people want to pick to death one thing when they can't think out of the box of how it's relevance can be used.

Jan 22, 2011
Did not say I like those drills. Don't care for stagnant arm. Don't care for turning ball backwards either. But wrist snaps can be done in a regular throwing movement to help direct accuracy and create more spin. Difficult part of website chat room people want to pick to death one thing when they can't think out of the box of how it's relevance can be used.
Curious if you have video examples of wrist snap drills that are helpful. From my experience in overhand throwing the wrist snap happens as a result of proper throwing, not something that is emphasized.

There are drills I occasionally do to get the players to feel something, but don’t use regularly because they can teach some bad mechanics. Hitting Muhl balls for example.

Jun 8, 2016
Can strengthen the grip too..right ? 😂 You are doing a horrible job of this Bullseye..

Oct 26, 2019
Curious if you have video examples of wrist snap drills that are helpful. From my experience in overhand throwing the wrist snap happens as a result of proper throwing, not something that is emphasized.

There are drills I occasionally do to get the players to feel something, but don’t use regularly because they can teach some bad mechanics. Hitting Muhl balls for example.
Look on the bright side. If teams that are doing wrist snaps are doing them like most teams I see, then they are doing them during warm-ups while they are chatting and not paying much attention so they are probably harmless :)

FWIW, I almost never see youth baseball teams doing wrist snaps.

Jan 24, 2023
Curious if you have video examples of wrist snap drills that are helpful. From my experience in overhand throwing
the wrist snap happens as a result of proper throwing, not something that is emphasized.
I'm on board with those comments
"Learning to feel" "The wrist snap happens as a result of proper throwing."
In alignment with that correcting improper pushing, shot put type throwing, snapping needs to be implemented.

Oct 26, 2019
I'm on board with those comments
"Learning to feel" "The wrist snap happens as a result of proper throwing."
In alignment with that correcting improper pushing, shot put type throwing, snapping needs to be implemented.
The problem is the wrist doesn’t “snap“ in the way that most people do Wrist snaps. The arm and wrist actually pronates release. The wrist and hand are at the very end of the kinetic chain of throwing. 99.9% of throwing problems occur way farther up the chain.

Jan 24, 2023
After agreeing that snapping the wrist is part of throwing, now you're topic is about people doing drills ineffectively. Okay there are ineffective ways to do drills but there are also effective ways to do drills.

The problem is the wrist doesn’t “snap“ in the way that most people do Wrist snaps. The arm and wrist actually pronates release. The wrist and hand are at the very end of the kinetic chain of throwing. 99.9% of throwing problems occur way farther up the chain.

But wrist snaps can be done in a regular throwing movement to help direct accuracy and create more spin.

Oct 26, 2019
After agreeing that snapping the wrist is part of throwing, now you're topic is about people doing drills ineffectively. Okay there are ineffective ways to do drills but there are also effective ways to do drills.
I apologize if I appear that I was arguing. I am not trying to argue just merely stating an opinion.

I personally do not do wrist snaps. When I think about whether I want to incorporate a drill or not, I usually think through this. Can I find any high-level coaches or high-level athletes who do the drill? With wrist snaps, I have not been able to find any high-level throwers who incorporate them into their practice, nor any higher level throwing coaches. I have never seen a professional baseball player do them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802