Michigan vs. Washington- obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Your point of illegal act of the defense...wasnt illegal until this rule started being applied.

Obstruction has always existed, and this particular play was always obstruction.

Strange how and when safety is picked and sorted through.

I actually don't think safety is the issue here. A defensive player who didn't have the ball jumped into the runner's path. That is an should be against the rules because a defender should not be allowed to prevent a runner from running.

Jun 11, 2013
View attachment 22197

Here's the moment right before the catch is made.. The baserunner has already deviated from her path (seen by the awkard lean) and the catcher is straddling the line.

I think the catcher knew that this was the only place for her to stand to catch the ball/make the tag. Regardless, look how far off line that throw was! That's a good 10' up the line...
She didn't veer she had rounded the base and was heading towards the plate which she is entitled. Using a still picture doesn't ever give a clear picture. A few feet earlier the Catcher was totally in fair territory so in reality she is the one who moved into the runners lane.

Jul 5, 2016
Agreed. This play happened because the outfielder made a poor throw....period. the catcher did what she could with it but the poor throw caused the obstruction. No where else other than a batted ball is the runner expected to avoid the defense in their path. The defense should not get rewarded because a poor play blocks the runner. I was rooting for Michigan but Michigan beat themselves with this.

My feeling was that Michigan's problem in this game was 0 runs. Washington had 1 ER and 1 on the obstruction. Had the runner played it a bit different, the obstruction call might have been avoided and Washington would have had 2 ER.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Obstruction has always existed, and this particular play was always obstruction.

I actually don't think safety is the issue here. A defensive player who didn't have the ball jumped into the runner's path. That is an should be against the rules because a defender should not be allowed to prevent a runner from running.
Pardon CoachJD,
i'm not quoting all the rule books here just stating my playing experience.
Deffinetly could get in the path of the runner at the plate!!!
My career reminds me of this!

This play i/catcher was clearly blocking the base line to the plate befor the ball got there.
Because we could.
*if the ball was in flight of throw get ready to play the ball.
No player ejection on smothering the catcher either.
Long Beach State vs. Fresno

20160706_102355-1.jpg
NEVER NOT ONCE WAS I EVER CALLED ON OBSTRUCTION.
deffinetly crossed the foul line retrieving throws and tags and yes gasp collisions!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is a photo of a very standard way used to drop my left leg while the throw was in flight to me, blocking the plate purposely with leg.
Literally blocking fair and foul territory crossing the foul line.
This photo have not caught the ball yet.

Pardon blury photo. :) its off the t.v. from an old vhs transfered to dvd.

The announcer of this game (one of the first televised college games )
Her name is Debbie Taylor
She happened to have been Lisa Fernandez High School coach at the time at St Joseph High School in California.
She actually commented in the slow mo of the play
" the catcher did a great job of blocking the plate. Nice blocking sweep tag. No place for the Arizona runner to go."

20210525_101802-1.jpg
Seriously the word blocking
meant~ blocking runners from the plate.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pardon CoachJD,
i'm not quoting all the rule books here just stating my playing experience.
Deffinetly could get in the path of the runner at the plate!!!
My career reminds me of this!

This play i/catcher was clearly blocking the base line to the plate befor the ball got there.
Because we could.
*if the ball was in flight of throw get ready to play the ball.
No player ejection on smothering the catcher either.
Long Beach State vs. Fresno

View attachment 22212
deffinetly crossed the foul line retrieving throws and tags and yes gasp collisions!

Regardless of your view on the topic, this is an awesome picture!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Regardless of your view on the topic, this is an awesome picture!!
Yes very neat picture!
Front page sports Fresno Bee
that was taken at regionals in 1986 and was actually sent into American photographer magazine. As The Story Goes one of the parents at Fresno State apparently got a hold of one of these magazines and saw the photo in it and ended up sending it to me via through our coach at Long Beach State. I still have the copy of American photographer today.
Throw a little wink at it ;) because there's photos of Marilyn Monroe in the same magazine.
What a kick!
Really neat thing the mystery person did reaching out with the magazine!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
definitely crossed the foul line retrieving throws and tags and yes gasp collisions!
Everyone likes to talk warmly about the "good ole' days", but the collisions are dangerous and kids can get hurt.

When I was 10, a friend of mine was permanently crippled by another friend of mine in Little League on a play at the plate. Neither kid ever played baseball again, and both suffered for years.

If the rules prevent one kid from being seriously injured, it is good thing.

Jul 5, 2016
Wasn't this rule change prompted by a collision at the plate in a UCLA game 3-4 years ago that left catcher and runner bloody?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole