Michigan vs. Washington- obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
If the rules committee wants to get rid of injury, just say "no blocking of any base/plate". I'm a little old school in the belief that if at any point in time a defensive player can deny access to the base/plate by blocking it, then the runner has no recourse other than to make contact to have a chance at being safe. I'm talking about a close bang-bang play where the defense moves to block late in the play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If the rules committee wants to get rid of injury, just say "no blocking of any base/plate". I'm a little old school in the belief that if at any point in time a defensive player can deny access to the base/plate by blocking it, then the runner has no recourse other than to make contact to have a chance at being safe. I'm talking about a close bang-bang play where the defense moves to block late in the play.

That is actually already in the rules. Obstruction rules for the most part don't specify specific bases except for a few catcher-centric notes and lines. You are seeing the umpires calling more and more obstruction on the bases in recent times (well the good umpires who are keeping up anyway).

Most notable is always going to be at the plate because in general there is a call that has to be made, but the obstruction rules apply to any base. If you watch the umpires in the NCAA games, there is a lot of Obstruction called (raised arm horizontally, fist closed) - which is a delayed dead ball - but as it has no effect on the play, nothing comes of it.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Took this from the video. The catcher doesn't have the ball, and she is in the base path.

9.5.1 Obstruction occurs when a defensive player, not in possession of the ball nor in the act of fielding a batted ball, impedes a batter’s attempt to make contact with a pitch or impedes the progress of any runner who is legally running bases on a live ball. It can be intentional or unintentional. It is
obstruction if a defensive player is blocking the whole base/plate or base path without the ball and/or the runner does not have a clear path to the base/plate.

Attachments

• obstruction.JPG
    obstruction.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 36

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So heres a real question to this. Thinking of possible better solutions.

If the catcher must remain on the inside of the base/foul line...waiting for throw/ball.
Should there be an additional running lane line now drawn in foul territory that runner cannot exceed the runners base path?
*To help runner and umpire visually.

In other words similar to the running lane down 1st base.

Seems could help especially on bang bang plays...like this video. Where catcher cannot be stepping across to catch the ball. Essentially can only use arm's length now.
Its catch ball and step
Not step to catch ball.
(do notice when runners are rounding third staying very wide into foul territory...then basically comming from behind home plate to touch it. Rather than more in line with base path/3rd foul line.)

in my opinion I do understand the catcher leaving a running path for the runner . but I do not understand why Runners are given so much leeway and additional room to do whatever they want.

Think that needs to be regulated as well ...
if you're going to restrict the catcher ...restrict the runner!

*speaking about the rule being applied in some better fashion.

*yes i see the catcher in video step over the line without the ball.
And it was a great play she made!
Add~do think the rule often makes for a cheesy outcome.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
@RADcatcher I don't think an enforceable running lane on the 3B line would be helpful. It works on 1B due to everyone starting in the box. Rounding the base can leave a runner anywhere depending on speed size, anything really.

I know what my DD is taught, set up and under no circumstance is she allowed to retreat to get the ball (in games and in lessons). There are two reasons that catchers move into the line (imo) 1- they are not confident on that specific short/mid hop on the throw home, or 2-they are aware that where the throw takes them makes it nearly impossible to make an out, so they squeeze the line hoping that timing of the ball in mitt works out or the ump won't make the difficult call of OBS.

Training helps and can eventually eliminate the 1st, the 2nd is a fraction of a second decision.. I say leave the rules as is. No collisions is a good thing for the sport.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher I don't think an enforceable running lane on the 3B line would be helpful. It works on 1B due to everyone starting in the box. Rounding the base can leave a runner anywhere depending on speed size, anything really.

I know what my DD is taught, set up and under no circumstance is she allowed to retreat to get the ball (in games and in lessons). There are two reasons that catchers move into the line (imo) 1- they are not confident on that specific short/mid hop on the throw home, or 2-they are aware that where the throw takes them makes it nearly impossible to make an out, so they squeeze the line hoping that timing of the ball in mitt works out or the ump won't make the difficult call of OBS.

Training helps and can eventually eliminate the 1st, the 2nd is a fraction of a second decision.. I say leave the rules as is. No collisions is a good thing for the sport.
Yes understand your points about instructing catchers how to avoid this predicament.

Regarding the video again ... can see how far off the line the runner is.
I was trying to stop video and get a still picture.
The catcher stepped over the line and the runner still had a full arms length of room
(maybe more).

Just saying
They restrict the defense
But didnt/arnt controling running lane distance.

No collisions are a good thing.
However we are still talking about players in the way of eachother arent we. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018
It was the right call.

Sorry but listening to the sour grapes from Hutchins and saying baseball does not have it and it needs to be taken out made me feel like coach put on the gear stand on the plate and let Hemphill or others come trucking you into next week. Sorry she can not throw player safety to the side because she was on the wrong side of a call.

Player safety comes first and this has led to a huge decline in home plate collisions/injuries so it belongs in the game!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It was the right call.

Sorry but listening to the sour grapes from Hutchins and saying baseball does not have it and it needs to be taken out made me feel like coach put on the gear stand on the plate and let Hemphill or others come trucking you into next week. Sorry she can not throw player safety to the side because she was on the wrong side of a call.

Player safety comes first and this has led to a huge decline in home plate collisions/injuries so it belongs in the game!
Geeez bb fielders dont even have to actually touch 2nd base making a double play... ;) haaa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi