Michigan vs. Washington- obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I was trying to stop video and get a still picture.
The catcher stepped over the line and the runner still had a full arms length of room
(maybe more).

1621887034798.png

Here's the moment right before the catch is made.. The baserunner has already deviated from her path (seen by the awkard lean) and the catcher is straddling the line.

I think the catcher knew that this was the only place for her to stand to catch the ball/make the tag. Regardless, look how far off line that throw was! That's a good 10' up the line...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
View attachment 22197

Here's the moment right before the catch is made.. The baserunner has already deviated from her path (seen by the awkard lean) and the catcher is straddling the line.

I think the catcher knew that this was the only place for her to stand to catch the ball/make the tag. Regardless, look how far off line that throw was! That's a good 10' up the line...
Nice still photo!
To be clear i am not haggling about the rule calling in that game.

I am speaking about the defense to be given the opportunity to stand both feet in fair territory, and still stretch reach to tag a runner. Since defense cant step to the ball catch and tag.

Will wait to see if any creative thinkers come up with another way to allow safe plays without restricting in the moment action!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
View attachment 22197

That's what I was referring to. She made a wide turn and angled back toward the plate. That's a great shot. Either way it's obstruction. That's the best look I've seen. Thanks for posting.

Mar 1, 2013
How long before the senior slow pitch commitment line and scoring plate make their way in? (Tongue firmly planted in cheek here).

Feb 15, 2017
View attachment 22197

Similar play in the Florida vs USF game on Friday not called obstruction but at ground level looked almost the same.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
As a catcher, I'm not sure how I feel about this play. I had to watch the play several times over and still don't know if it's obstruction or not. I mean the throw did carry the catcher over the line.

I had a similar play a few years ago in high school where I had to set up on the grass close to the baseline cutout. I caught the ball half a foot width from the line and got stiff-armed as I caught the ball and tried to make the tag at the same time. The runner was called out and I was surprised there was no interference/obstruction call.

How do we as catchers make a play like this where a throw carries us close to...if not over the line where we are in danger of an obstruction call?

I would love to hear from coaches and umpires on this.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This was maybe the easiest, most obvious obstruction call on a play at the plate I've ever seen, and it would be obstruction in any rule set, softball or baseball. The catcher, without the ball, jumped into the path of the runner and initiated contact. She didn't mean to do it, but intent is not a factor in obstruction.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How do we as catchers make a play like this where a throw carries us close to...if not over the line where we are in danger of an obstruction call?

You assume the catcher can win this one. You can't. A bad throw put the catcher in a bad spot, and her only options were 1) not catch the ball 2) commit obstruction and hope it's not called.

I think looking at this type of play as one where obstruction can't be the right call because the catcher had no other choice is the wrong way to look at it. The team could've avoided it by making a better play (the throw). The offense should not be penalized because an illegal act of the defense was necessary because of a bad play by a different member of the defense.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Similar play in the Florida vs USF game on Friday not called obstruction but at ground level looked almost the same.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Like this post because it brings up how far do the rules go.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think looking at this type of play as one where obstruction can't be the right call because the catcher had no other choice is the wrong way to look at it. The team could've avoided it by making a better play (the throw). The offense should not be penalized because an illegal act of the defense was necessary because of a bad play by a different member of the defense.
Your point of illegal act of the defense...wasnt illegal until this rule started being applied.
Which this discussion brings the question of how the rule is applied...
imo discussion is also.....
is the rule a valid fair type rule how and when its applied.

Think there is another side to the valid point that this play was actually not a play at the plate.
And the catcher was taken out of position
( taken out of position at the plate)
To make a play up the line.

At what point does the rule go too far?
Soooo the catcher cant leave there position to go get an errant throw?
Seriously i wouldnt give a damn about collision if i needed to cut off a bad throw when there are other runners on the field than just one runner heading home.
Think its wrong to say cant go get the ball. Let it fling to the backstop allowing other runners to advance.
Strange how and when safety is picked and sorted through.
Really commenting,
How far does the rule extend into hand cuffing the defense?

I see this rule as given too much favor/gratuity to runners.
Taking away great plays like this play.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi