Metal Spikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Are the girls applying two-handed tags at the bases? I see too many coaches at 10U and 12U (and even 14U) teaching this. I've always taught my infielders one-handed tags. The glove provides some protection, and a one-handed tag is quicker than a two-handed tag.

A two handed tag also brings the face closer to the action.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD is able to wear metal spikes this year, ASA 14U. Growing up I heard and saw horror stories of broken ankles when kids switch to metal. What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

I was one of the naysayers, but not because of them wearing metal. My concern is that regardless of what people will declare, there is an adjustment in the manner in which one runs. As noted, walking no hard surfaces is a serious concern if the player is not cognizant of the difference. Spiking oneself is not that uncommon even for those who have been wearing them for years.

Sliding is a serious concern because is has to be executed correctly which means first contact with the ground needs to be the thigh. I still see way too many players who have never been taught properly just running to a base and throwing the feet and knees out in front of them. Metal does not have the forgiveness of other soles on a firm field.

Another issue is touching the bases. When I was growing up, we were always trained to contact the base with part of the foot. That would leave some of the cleats in contact with the dirt. This can be important especially in damp situations where a base can become slippery, even with metal.

Same with grass. They are great with a firm field, but some get overconfident with them on a wet turf. People tend to forget that depending on the level of wetness of the field beneath the grass, there may be more give to the surface than anticipated. Growing up, I've seen many a pulled hamstring cause by an outfielder planting a foot and the dirt giving away and the foot sliding in an unintended direction.

And you can go decades and not have a problem, but one quick reaction in less than perfect conditions can rip up a knee in a second. Some infielders who get used to sliding or shuffling their feet may find that it is not as easy to do with metal on. It is just a matter of retraining your mind and feet :)

Like I said, no problem wearing them, but the player should become accustomed to them before giving them their full confidence.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I actually witnessed a collision between two outfielders last weekend at my daughter's game...the RF went to the ground to catch the ball and got stepped on (lower leg). She ended up with a couple of really nasty deep gashes on her leg and was sidelined the rest of the weekend.

My DD's orthopedic surgeon nixed metal cleats for her after her second knee surgery. He said the majority of the knee surgeries he saw for softball were pitchers w/metal cleats because the "grab" was just too much for the plant leg. Might be just a pitcher thing, but that was the end of them for her. My second DD is a catcher and decided against metal for personal preferences. She thought they were not as comfortable. To each their own on that end.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
While I will usually look to MLB for the right thing to do concerning Throwing, hitting, baserunning, fieldingt etc. I don't think its a fair to compare what professional athletes choose for equipment vs what is right for a 14-16 yo girl.

Last February, DD #2 had a (skating) career-ending injury, a few years previously DD#1 had a (Gymnastics) career-ending injury - both could've been avoided, both were caused by adults pushing the kid beyond where a kid can be expected to perform.. From what I've read here, I think the risks for DD#2 outweigh the benefits gained from going with metal cleats - but that's just in her case. so in that respect, it's good to hear the possible problems for someone who is starting with a weakness.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD's orthopedic surgeon nixed metal cleats for her after her second knee surgery. He said the majority of the knee surgeries he saw for softball were pitchers w/metal cleats because the "grab" was just too much for the plant leg. Might be just a pitcher thing, but that was the end of them for her. My second DD is a catcher and decided against metal for personal preferences. She thought they were not as comfortable. To each their own on that end.

Sounds a bit like quackery or at a minimum a causal effect in search of an outcome. If metal was such an issue there would be many more knee issues with pitchers.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sounds a bit like quackery or at a minimum a causal effect in search of an outcome. If metal was such an issue there would be many more knee issues with pitchers.

There are probably many we don't hear about, but that would be expected.

You need to take into consideration the pitching styles along with the length of the cleat. A pitcher who comes down and slides on the ball of her lead foot would seem to be more susceptible than the pitcher who comes down on the heal.

I knew many pitchers in baseball and softball that would grind down the cleats to avoid catching at an inopportune time.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Hmmm.....
No way to justify that conclusion.
Too many variables in the pitcher's form to make that statement.
No two pitchers are alike and you would have no control group to test.

That is why it's called the practice of medicine. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves