Turf Pitching Mat on Dirt Field - which shoes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
DD has a 14U tournament today on dirt fields....we had played many times on these fields. She only had her metal cleats. We show up and they had installed turf pitching mats on all the fields. My question is which shoes would you wear? Every pitcher here is wearing her spikes because that is all they brought. I guess they did this to prevent the hole from forming in front of the mound but every pitcher is used to that.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_163736852.jpg
    IMG_20211030_163736852.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Put the crocks in 4x4 mode and get to work……

Tennis shoes for pitching. Switch to cleats for hitting/base running. Is it a pain? Yes. Can it be done? Yes.

Depending on the shoe and condition of the field….playing in tennis shoes all game isn’t necessarily out of the question either. Though not ideal.

Edit: Odd that the modification of the pitching area wasn’t included in anything from the tournament director.

Aug 21, 2008
DD has a 14U tournament today on dirt fields....we had played many times on these fields. She only had her metal cleats. We show up and they had installed turf pitching mats on all the fields. My question is which shoes would you wear? Every pitcher here is wearing her spikes because that is all they brought. I guess they did this to prevent the hole from forming in front of the mound but every pitcher is used to that.
This is how they do it in Australia and NZ. Many games are played on fields also used for soccer, rugby, cricket, and other things so to prevent holes in the ground, they put a mat down. And to keep it even across the board, all the fields use this (except when hosting international competition). I used metal cleats. Hopefully they fixed the mat into the ground so it doesn't slide like on a gym floor or turf facility. It was very hard to get used to at first. NOTHING to push off.

Sep 7, 2020
We always have molded cleats with us, not that we have run into this but have had issues with poor communication with TD not allowing spikes. Also DD Jr HS does not allow spikes either so we had to buy them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
How tore up do they get with metal cleats?
They were made from hard rubber, not like the pic above with a pitching rubber attached to a turf mat, like used in gyms and indoor places. So, were tough and sturdy . But, if you're asking the OP about his mats, I bet they would take a beating from metals.

Jul 19, 2021
You in Plano? My DD damn near broke her ankle on those stupid mats. She's 6' so she's got a longer stride then most and she landed right at the end of them. The dirt is piled up under there like a pond dam (from other pitchers landing short of the end) with no way to smooth it out because you can't lift the darn mats up. The other pitcher (also 6') rolled hers so bad she left the game and had to go to the hospital for XRays.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
Sidetracking a little from the mats, has anyone here used the clay blocks, similar to what's used in a batter's box? The infield texture of our org's home field is really sandy/loose. So no matter how much water and compaction you do to the pitching area, it's a grand canyon sized hole almost immediately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles