Metal Cleats - Catchers' Parents - Please Weigh In

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
We've had the best luck with whatever adidas cleats are on closeout, as long as they have an adituff toe - durable and excellent arch support. Our experience with Mizunos is that they fall apart, and although they are pretty light, don't offer a lot of inner sole comfort. I can't bring myself to pay retail for metal cleats, because if one plays a lot, the metal cleats wear down eventually on sidewalks.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As an overall generalization, metal spikes will give your DD the best traction out of everything else available. They dig in easier and are a must on a muddy field behind the plate. Turf shoes are very light and comfortable but IMO, are only good for when they are on a dry field or practicing indoors since they have a tendency to pick up far more mud and will offer far less traction on a wet field than either the plastic or metal cleats. As for my catcher DD, she's had Ringor metals for 3 years now and would never think of wearing anything else. We'll be buying her a new pair for Fall but they will be the Ringor Bandits since she wants to go lighter.

Mar 29, 2012
My DD is 13 playing her 1st year at 14u, she also just started catching this year. We got her a pair of boombah vengence2 metals 3 weeks ago and she loves them.

Jan 3, 2014
Found this from 2013 - http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/14214-cleats-catchers.html

I will admit I never considered turf shoes for my DD. Would welcome opinions on turf shoes too!

DD catches, and when she does, she prefers to wear her turf shoes. She just wears the middle of the road Mizuno turfs, whatever they are. They are run down, horrifically smelly, threadbare, and apparently very comfortable. She says she prefers them while catching because the metal spikes giver her TOO MUCH traction. She feels like she can't move as freely behind the plate when wearing metal.

Whenever she plays anywhere else, she puts on the Mizuno nine spikes.

I do think she is quicker on the base path with the metal spikes.

Laker

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
DD catches, and when she does, she prefers to wear her turf shoes. She just wears the middle of the road Mizuno turfs, whatever they are. They are run down, horrifically smelly, threadbare, and apparently very comfortable. She says she prefers them while catching because the metal spikes giver her TOO MUCH traction. She feels like she can't move as freely behind the plate when wearing metal.

Whenever she plays anywhere else, she puts on the Mizuno nine spikes.

I do think she is quicker on the base path with the metal spikes.

Laker

One of our pitchers currently wears the Mizuno turf shoes. She loves them. Just like bats and gloves, I see several pairs of shoes in my DD future. Good news is for MS she cannot wear metal cleats, so we have the opportunity to try different types out to see what she ultimately prefers. Just gotta get some and start breaking them in....

Jun 19, 2013
The Ringor Bandit (the new lighter show) with the pitching toe to protect her feet will outlast 3 pairs of Adidas.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
My Catcher hates being without them. In VA they were allowed at 14u, not in NY. Ours are Ringor. They make a difference in performance in her eyes. Hold up well. No issues with quality.

Apr 1, 2010
Once my DD catcher tried metal she wouldn't go back. Men's Nikes in the wide width seem to fit her best.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD is a 16U catcher and goes through cleats like wildfire. We have had Ringors, 3N2's, Boombahs and Mizunos. For the money, comfort and durability we like the mizuno 9 spikes the best. Ringors were okay but spendy and didn't hold up as well as we thought that they should. 3N2s totally came apart-the bottoms seperated from the shoe completely. Boombahs blew out on the side. Mizunos for us.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
My DD pitch's occasionally, and went with Ringor Diamond Dynasty's last year. They only lasted 13 months before they were shot. Had much higher hopes for a >$100 pair of cleats.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06