Metal Cleats - Catchers' Parents - Please Weigh In

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2015
I am an not a proponent of metal cleats and never have been. Medically speaking, there is no difference between the way a man's knee or a woman's knee is structured. Both have the same ligaments, tendons, meniscus, etc. However, a woman's knee is inherently weaker than that of a man. There are various reason for this but the most compelling is the way a females hips are structured for birthing which transcends down to the knees. You see a greater majority of athletic women suffering torn ACL's and MCL's than you do with men that play a sport that puts stress or pressure on the knee. Metal cleats do not give when they dig into the ground like molded rubber cleats do. I have seen more injuries happen with women (playing all positions, not just catcher) whose metal cleats dig into the ground resulting in knee or ankle injuries than those who wear molded rubber cleats. The amount of traction difference between metal spikes and molder rubber cleats is negligible in my opinion. My daughter played catcher in college and I told the coach when he recruited her that I would only allow her to wear rubber spikes. I asked if he had a problem with this and he said no. She started all 4 years wearing rubber cleats and never had a problem. More importantly, she never suffered any type of injury to her knee or ankle during her career. She also played 3 years in the NPF wearing rubber cleats.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have watched 2 full years of metal spike play and have yet to see an injury attributed to the shoes and I just don't see them while attending approximately 100 games per year.

The difference between spike and rubber is huge. Hard pack fields or dewy grass in the morning are where spikes rule. Rubber is a detriment, PLUS spikes are lighter. I have yet to see a kid wear spikes and go back to rubber.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have watched 2 full years of metal spike play and have yet to see an injury attributed to the shoes and I just don't see them while attending approximately 100 games per year.

The difference between spike and rubber is huge. Hard pack fields or dewy grass in the morning are where spikes rule. Rubber is a detriment, PLUS spikes are lighter. I have yet to see a kid wear spikes and go back to rubber.

The traction difference is indeed significant. FWIW, of the dozen or so girls i know who have had ACL tears, including my own DD, SB has only been responsible in one case, and it wasn't footwear related IMO.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The traction difference is indeed significant. FWIW, of the dozen or so girls i know who have had ACL tears, including my own DD, SB has only been responsible in one case, and it wasn't footwear related IMO.

My experience has been the same. The most recent were powder puff football and kick-ball game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD is a 16U catcher and goes through cleats like wildfire. We have had Ringors, 3N2's, Boombahs and Mizunos. For the money, comfort and durability we like the mizuno 9 spikes the best. Ringors were okay but spendy and didn't hold up as well as we thought that they should. 3N2s totally came apart-the bottoms seperated from the shoe completely. Boombahs blew out on the side. Mizunos for us.

Did your Ringors have the pitching toes? I think catchers would see SIGNIFICANT improvement in the durability of cleats with the pitching toes. I know they are make my DD's cleats last 3X longer than they would without (she is a pitcher).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Did your Ringors have the pitching toes? I think catchers would see SIGNIFICANT improvement in the durability of cleats with the pitching toes. I know they are make my DD's cleats last 3X longer than they would without (she is a pitcher).

Toe wear hasn't been an issue with my catcher DD or me historically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06