Men's Fastpitch question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2012
I remember my step father pitching for a team called the Somerset Allisons. ( in Somerset Pa. ) it was apparently a mens fastpitch league. He did however get paid to pitch for them. I am guessing by the sponsor of the team. I do remember he threw unbelievably hard and they played 'The King and His Court" once also. The Allisons won that game easily if i remember right. But then again the King and his court is only like 5 players so there are plenty of holes out there in the filed.

I was only 8 yrs old so I don't remember much. He and my mother split up not long after.

Jan 24, 2012
I am old, really old. I remember men playing fastpitch in small towns in the 50's. A fellow I knew was pitching a rise ball at that time. Fast forward to the 70's in Bishop, Ca. They had many tournaments in the summer. Great pitching, slap hitters, pretty much everything we have today with the girls. The slappers could pound the ball into the dirt so hard it would bounce into the outfield over a crashing 3rd basemen. At that time the best pitchers came from New Zealand and I think Australia. I believe I was told that they did not play baseball in those areas. Boys grew up playing fastpitch softball. I think coaching mechanics, probably came from there.

Oct 19, 2009
My dad played Fastpitch in central Ohio in the 80's till he stepped in a hole in centerfield and messed up his knee. I'll never forget the pitcher on his team the guy was legendary. Name was Dave Seech and word was he threw 100 mph. I don't know how fast he really threw but they eventually banned him from pitching in league play. His arms were as big as my legs and my dad used to tell me his rise ball would start at ur ankles and end up at ur eyes. This from a group of guys who referred to slo-pitch as puss-pitch. I used to watch their games and was glad I played baseball. LOL

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the men's FP league is like the old set up for men's league in baseball after HS or the summer's between the college seasons. Sponsored by a business ( Coke, Pepsi, GE, etc )

The pitching is my most concern and interest, since this was non-existent in my area ( southeast ) I'm trying to figure out when these great "men" pitchers got the practice growing up. Did they have classifications like the girls, 10u/12u/14u? The literature that I can find show men winning this and that nationwide, but no literature of the same pitcher at 20 winning FP at 15.

I guess I'm asking more for the American experience, although I appreciate the worldly comments.

I know this is a strange thread but I've grown to love fastpitch through my DD, and would have enjoyed playing some FP of my own in my younger years. How could I have spent most of my young/teen/20ish life around the ball fields and so rarely seen this sport??

Oct 19, 2009
I'm surprised Hal Skinner hasn't chimed in. From what he's written I gather the men's game has been big in Cali for a lot of years

Sep 21, 2011
There are several men's fastpitch leagues in my area. Many of them these days are leagues for players aged 35+. There are lots of ex-baseball players who switch over and learn to pitch underhand after their baseball-playing days are over.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I'm surprised Hal Skinner hasn't chimed in. From what he's written I gather the men's game has been big in Cali for a lot of years
I'm sure he will. Where I grew up we had cub scouts FP, play ground FP, grade school 5th and 6th grade FP. Jr church league FP...Sr church FP, City FP Factory FP to The 4 time ASA national champions and 2 time ISF WT champions...We learned from watching and asking questions and just playing catch copying the men. My idols were 2 ASA HOFer pitchers.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The women never had lessons either. There was no such thing as a pitching coach. Men's leagues were as common as women's leagues in Il. The men were still playing in their 40s. Well, some of the women were too. I knew many of the men pitchers, in Shelbyville and ADM had the teams that worked in their factory. (Decatur) But when I started playing for Casey il. Is where I saw the top men's team in the state.

Nov 14, 2011
We hosted the Mens fastpitch nationals (+40 I believe) back in 2012 here in Moline. This year we are the hosting the ISC fastpitch National in August. For me I can't see enough FP softball so it is a great opportunity to watch more FP softball. A couple of years ago I had a company come out to my house to give me a quote on my roof and he noticed the softballs I had in the garage. We struck up a conversation about FP softball and he told me he was a FP player. I guess he noticed the shocked look on my face because until that time I didn't know that it was also played by men. Then he told me he was a FP pitcher and offered to give my daughter lessons. We never took him up on the offer but that was my introduction to FP for men. Needless to say it included my embarrassment, but what else is new!?

I watched a couple of games of the +40 Mens Nationals a couple of years ago and I am planning on watching the ISC when they come in August. For me, I would rather watch FP softball any day of the week vs. watch a single game of baseball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi