Matsuda Slow Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
Great long jump competitor. Noticed on the drop ball he is more palm to third than palm up. Also using 2 finger grips.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The men have always interested me because they do some things differently from the women. This the first good quality slo-mo video I have seen.

The arm timing is different because of the length of time the men spend in the air between launch and landing. This makes me wonder about the absolutes that are often used here regarding where the arm/hand/ball should be at certain points in the motion. If you look at this pitcher the ball is at about 5 o'clock when he leaves the ground, the standard used here is usually about 3 o'clock. Then on landing the ball is around 8-9 o'clock, 10-11 o'clock is the standard here. My overall impression from watching the video is that men 'throw' the ball underhand more than the women do and rely less on arm circle speed to generate velocity.

The crow hop is common and I'm wondering if it's mechanism for taking some of the stress off the landing leg and stabilizing the landing. There also seems to be less front side resistance, the landing and follow through remind of when my pitchers do long toss.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The men have always interested me because they do some things differently from the women. This the first good quality slo-mo video I have seen.

The arm timing is different because of the length of time the men spend in the air between launch and landing. This makes me wonder about the absolutes that are often used here regarding where the arm/hand/ball should be at certain points in the motion. If you look at this pitcher the ball is at about 5 o'clock when he leaves the ground, the standard used here is usually about 3 o'clock. Then on landing the ball is around 8-9 o'clock, 10-11 o'clock is the standard here. My overall impression from watching the video is that men 'throw' the ball underhand more than the women do and rely less on arm circle speed to generate velocity.

The crow hop is common and I'm wondering if it's mechanism for taking some of the stress off the landing leg and stabilizing the landing. There also seems to be less front side resistance, the landing and follow through remind of when my pitchers do long toss.
Womans fastpitch
Having faced when pitchers could crow hop to when that rule got changed
and facing same pitchers after...
Big crow hop certainly creates a timing element for batters!
Pitchers had more bursting energy too!

While have read people commenting umpires dont call the little hop seen occasionally now.. umpire saying they arent gaining an advantage.
Hmmm?
When big crow hop was allowed it was deffinetly to pitchers advantage
Just sayin' ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13