Matsuda Slow Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Hiraku Matsuda is a 32 year old professional softball pitcher in Japan. He is currently one of the top two or three pitchers in the world. (And, no, he doesn't throw a screwball...)

@Hillhouse, have you seen this guy pitch?

Yes, I know him. Ironically, he took my place on the New York based team I was on after I retired, 2013 or 14. He only lasted 1 season in the USA, it didnt go well for him. There is a rumor he's coming back in 2021 for a different team, I'm sure he'll be a different pitcher. Japan is tricky because they isolate themselves a lot from the softball world as their season is played the same as ours in North America. Kiwi's, Aussies, Argentina players all come here during their off season. So Japan's only connection to the outside world of softball is, their teams pay a lot of money to have pitchers (male and female) to play in Japan. It's finally worked out that Japan takes a "season break" from latter June to late August, which is allowing players to play in both Japan and USA. The top level teams in the USA only play from late June through mid August, about 6 total weekends.

Aug 21, 2008
I can’t for the life of me tell what kind of glove he’s wearing? I got one terrible glimpse of it.....think it’s a Mizuno? ;)

Feel pretty sure I’d take him yard, he better stay over there!

Most Asian nations softball/baseball is 100% Mizuno. And they absolutely hate it. Mizuno is more about golf than they are baseball/softball. They don't do a lot to improve their bats, that's for sure.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, I know him. Ironically, he took my place on the New York based team I was on after I retired, 2013 or 14. He only lasted 1 season in the USA, it didnt go well for him. There is a rumor he's coming back in 2021 for a different team, I'm sure he'll be a different pitcher. Japan is tricky because they isolate themselves a lot from the softball world as their season is played the same as ours in North America. Kiwi's, Aussies, Argentina players all come here during their off season. So Japan's only connection to the outside world of softball is, their teams pay a lot of money to have pitchers (male and female) to play in Japan. It's finally worked out that Japan takes a "season break" from latter June to late August, which is allowing players to play in both Japan and USA. The top level teams in the USA only play from late June through mid August, about 6 total weekends.
Always a treat to read behind the scenes info!
Mr. B whats your perspective on the crow hop.
How far did or do you hop out?
Whats the mechanical differences you experience with or without it?
:)

Aug 21, 2008
Always a treat to read behind the scenes info!
Mr. B whats your perspective on the crow hop.
How far did or do you hop out?
Whats the mechanical differences you experience with or without it?
:)

When I was a young pitcher (in my teens) the rules had just flipped from 2 feet on the rubber to 1 foot. Crow hopping was just starting to happen. Basically, I learned to pith with a crow hop and only 1 foot on the rubber. Then at 18, my first winter season in New Zealand, I had to put both feet on rubber and NO crow hop. So I had to learn to pitch both ways, which includes almost having to relearn pitching entirely when I got to NZ.

Many pitchers who use the crow hop are not using the best mechanics possible. But they don't have to because the hop helps them overcome not having the best mechanics. I think the major problem is in many cases, crow hopping to throw hard takes away from the mechanics necessary to spin the ball for the best movement. A guy like Mike White was not a crow hopper at all. Yet his movement and change up are on Mt Rushmore status. Then a guy like Adam Folkard who throws 88 without a change up just challenges people to hit his riseball. For a good 4-6 year span, nobody hit him too much. Now he's been caught up to and doesn't have the other pitches to fall back on.

I will say this another 100 times before I die, if you want to get rid of the crow hop then I say fine. Get rid of the composite bats and polycore softballs too. If you want 1960's pitching rules, then we'd better go back to 1960's equipment. Funny how people don't wanna do that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I was a young pitcher (in my teens) the rules had just flipped from 2 feet on the rubber to 1 foot. Crow hopping was just starting to happen. Basically, I learned to pith with a crow hop and only 1 foot on the rubber. Then at 18, my first winter season in New Zealand, I had to put both feet on rubber and NO crow hop. So I had to learn to pitch both ways, which includes almost having to relearn pitching entirely when I got to NZ.

Many pitchers who use the crow hop are not using the best mechanics possible. But they don't have to because the hop helps them overcome not having the best mechanics. I think the major problem is in many cases, crow hopping to throw hard takes away from the mechanics necessary to spin the ball for the best movement. A guy like Mike White was not a crow hopper at all. Yet his movement and change up are on Mt Rushmore status. Then a guy like Adam Folkard who throws 88 without a change up just challenges people to hit his riseball. For a good 4-6 year span, nobody hit him too much. Now he's been caught up to and doesn't have the other pitches to fall back on.

I will say this another 100 times before I die, if you want to get rid of the crow hop then I say fine. Get rid of the composite bats and polycore softballs too. If you want 1960's pitching rules, then we'd better go back to 1960's equipment. Funny how people don't wanna do that.
Great read! Thanks for details!

Nice that 'we' are around to see rules and equiptment change ;)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
-3 and -5 big barrel wood bats, heck yeah, I'm in!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Womans fastpitch
Having faced when pitchers could crow hop to when that rule got changed
and facing same pitchers after...
Big crow hop certainly creates a timing element for batters!
Pitchers had more bursting energy too!

While have read people commenting umpires dont call the little hop seen occasionally now.. umpire saying they arent gaining an advantage.
Hmmm?
When big crow hop was allowed it was deffinetly to pitchers advantage
Just sayin' ;)

When Anna was 11, 12, 13, she would occasionally let her bad habit of leaping creep back in, not hopping, but leaping, especially when she was pressing! It was minimal but every now and then we'd get "that" ump that leaping was his trigger! Correcting that was a struggle but she / we finally fixed it!

Her first pitching coach used to tell me that when we faced a team where the opposing pitcher was hopping or leaping (and everyone on the bench and all the parents were screaming) to just leave her alone and keep our mouths shut. He said when she starts pitching correctly with proper mechanics she'll start pitching better and faster than she is with her hopping and leaping! He said it was a crutch, not an advantage, I'll always remember him saying that! Right or wrong.....?

Jun 8, 2016
When Anna was 11, 12, 13, she would occasionally let her bad habit of leaping creep back in, not hopping, but leaping, especially when she was pressing! It was minimal but every now and then we'd get "that" ump that leaping was his trigger! Correcting that was a struggle but she / we finally fixed it!

Her first pitching coach used to tell me that when we faced a team where the opposing pitcher was hopping or leaping (and everyone on the bench and all the parents were screaming) to just leave her alone and keep our mouths shut. He said when she starts pitching correctly with proper mechanics she'll start pitching better and faster than she is with her hopping and leaping! He said it was a crutch, not an advantage, I'll always remember him saying that! Right or wrong.....?
I know nothing about softball pitching but if it is possible to have the proper mechanics and leap then the advantage would be you are releasing the ball closer to home plate..right?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Most Asian nations softball/baseball is 100% Mizuno. And they absolutely hate it. Mizuno is more about golf than they are baseball/softball. They don't do a lot to improve their bats, that's for sure.
I use Mizuno forged irons, if I had to replace my irons today, I'd go buy a set of forged Mizuno irons, no doubt! There is SO many great glove manufacturers in Japan, materials, craftsmanship, and attention to detail are second to none!

But I've gone to say, a Japanese made Mizuno Pro Limited is about as good as a ball glove gets!! And it's definitely reflected in it's price!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I know nothing about softball pitching but if it is possible to have the proper mechanics and leap then the advantage would be you are releasing the ball closer to home plate..right?
Yep, less time for the hitter to see, and time the ball out of the pitchers hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802