Lower Body (no stride)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Now you are getting deep W=w.. :). There are many templates, each of them without flaw. Application of the correct template will affect the outcome of a project. However, there are many applicable templates that can result in the success of a project. I like part of this template.. I think her lower body movement and core engagement is great

Ok. I don’t want to offend you or anyone. If it was my choice. I wouldn’t use the young lady as a model. I would use a HOF hitter that uses a no stride approach. That’s what I have been saying for awhile now. That’s all.

I hope you understand where I’m coming from. I have followed your DDs progress since you put her up. I would love to see her get to where she’s wants to go. She looks like she’s capable and it seems like you both are more then willing to do the work. That’s is all. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2015
Great point. Julray insists that he likes the young lady’s actions, and would like to model her for his DDs swing.

Julray, look at Edmonds. Look at the young lady. If you said you want to model your DDs swing after Edmonds. That would be a different story. He is balanced. The young lady is not. When not balanced, compensations happen within the sequence and efficiency will suffer.
Not sure that was really what I wanted as the take away from that post, but whatever...

My point was that picking out a single frame, and coming to a conclusion wrt a hitter's "balance" is somewhat problematic, and when trying to fit hitters' movements into a single neat tidy definition of planes of motion is difficult at best.

Not my gif, so I didn't write the "center of gravity" on it...
bagwellnoshift2.gif

...but I think that it does show a good visual of Bag's "COM" that's been mentioned, and that he really never loads back into the rearward sagittal plane as has been the stated previously...nor does he shift forward with momentum into the ball as has also been discussed previously, and said to be (or inferred to be) an "absolute" in a HL swing.

Again, not trying to say that balance, and/or some momentum cannot be seen and/or used in some HL swings...just that trying to fit every peg regardless of shape or size into a square hole can create issues for the non-square hole hitters out there if you will.

May 12, 2016
Ok. I don’t want to offend you or anyone. If it was my choice. I wouldn’t use the young lady as a model. I would use a HOF hitter that uses a no stride approach. That’s what I have been saying for awhile now. That’s all.

I hope you understand where I’m coming from. I have followed your DDs progress since you put her up. I would love to see her get to where she’s wants to go. She looks like she’s capable and it seems like you both are more then willing to do the work. That’s is all. Good luck.

I don't think you ever offended me W=w.. and if I offended you I apologize profusely. I always listen to what you have to say and appreciate your advice. There are parts of this swing that I am very interested in which I said at the beginning. I like the way the lower body moves in this swing and the way it connects with the core. I see a lot of stretch and potential power. I do not see imbalance or lack of control... I am reiterating this for the readers benefit, I am strictly speaking of lower body and core here. I think this template can help my DD big time who seems to fall into a bad habit of all back, all forward and has trouble generating that stretch..AND has a tendency shuffle her front backward a little (causing a crap load of slack). What I am seeing with this young ladies lower body and core, I see in MLB'ers who use a no stride approach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not sure that was really what I wanted as the take away from that post, but whatever...

My point was that picking out a single frame, and coming to a conclusion wrt a hitter's "balance" is somewhat problematic, and when trying to fit hitters' movements into a single neat tidy definition of planes of motion is difficult at best.

Not my gif, so I didn't write the "center of gravity" on it...
bagwellnoshift2.gif

...but I think that it does show a good visual of Bag's "COM" that's been mentioned, and that he really never loads back into the rearward sagittal plane as has been the stated previously...nor does he shift forward with momentum into the ball as has also been discussed previously, and said to be (or inferred to be) an "absolute" in a HL swing.

Again, not trying to say that balance, and/or some momentum cannot be seen and/or used in some HL swings...just that trying to fit every peg regardless of shape or size into a square hole can create issues for the non-square hole hitters out there if you will.

Bagwell is balanced throughout his sequence. The young lady is never balanced. My point to Julray is the young lady as a model is not a good follow. I would choose a HOF hitter with the style that fits best for his DD.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't think you ever offended me W=w.. and if I offended you I apologize profusely. I always listen to what you have to say and appreciate your advice. There are parts of this swing that I am very interested in which I said at the beginning. I like the way the lower body moves in this swing and the way it connects with the core. I see a lot of stretch and potential power. I do not see imbalance or lack of control... I am reiterating this for the readers benefit, I am strictly speaking of lower body and core here. I think this template can help my DD big time who seems to fall into a bad habit of all back, all forward and has trouble generating that stretch..AND has a tendency shuffle her front backward a little (causing a crap load of slack). What I am seeing with this young ladies lower body and core, I see in MLB'ers who use a no stride approach.

Lol. We are going on circles. The young lady’s actions are not the same as MLBers. She makes compensations to get to the ball. <<<<<<< REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS LAST SENTENCE.

May 12, 2016
Bagwell is balanced throughout his sequence. The young lady is never balanced. My point to Julray is the young lady as a model is not a good follow. I would choose a HOF hitter with the style that fits best for his DD.

Are you suggesting I use Bagwell as a model? :). If my DD had a stance like that in the batters box, head coach would develop high blood pressure

May 12, 2016
Lol. We are going on circles. The young lady’s actions are not the same as MLBers. She makes compensations to get to the ball. <<<<<<< REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS LAST SENTENCE.

What are the compensations you are seeing?

I believe the lower body fits the model of a lot of MLB'ers who no stride, remains coiled to heel plant, foot/front hip opens up at heel plant, resisting back side, stretch created... Not saying it's exact, but close enough to me. Yep I keep repeating the bold sentence fragment, because that is what I am seeing in the MLB'ers no stride swings, and most of the striders as well... for example, Harper (damn I got the pics out of sequence.. lol)

2018-10-19 2-03-03 PM.jpg

Instant bat speed, doesn't look like the bat is being dragged through the zone to me

stretchnfire.jpg

Once again, this thread is about lower body mechanics and core engagement, I believe the young lady does a very good job of it.. similar to what I see from the MLB'ers not stride approach

Frames are missing in stills, but I think you get the picture

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Not wanting to pick at old scabs, but I disagree...the "young lady is never balanced" by what you view as balanced, in that you like more of a vertically balanced look, and that's fine...to each his own.

I'm a little more open with what I see as "balanced", in that I look at the entire distribution of weight at any particular part of the swing, and if the "front half" looks to be balancing the "back half" (or vice versa), I'm ok with it, and similar to what I see in Edmonds here....
kccpKsO.png

...I see in the young lady here, and throughout her swing process for the most part....
5au0zTo.png

I guess all I'm saying, is that I've seen much worse examples of a young hitter to pattern oneself off of if one so chooses for whatever reason(s) than the one presented in this thread.

Sure, using a HOF or MLB hitter as a swing model is preferred, but I can tell you that I've also had success with some hitters who struggled trying to match the pros (as many/most do) by showing them "good" swings of players closer to their age to copy, as I believe they don't feel as intimidated trying to match someone they see as so far ahead of them, compared to one they can identify with, and say to themselves, "Heck if s/he can do it, so can I"...even if the example of the young hitter in question isn't 100% perfect or a 100% match to any pro player.

Sometimes we just have to be creative, know our audience, and teach to their comprehension, learning process, and most importantly physical abilities and/or coordination they bring to the table. Sure, we'd all love to coach the top 1% of athletically capable players...but the reality of it is that we have a better chance of coaching the ones who have a hard enough time walking and chewing gum at the same time...much less getting all of the perfectly timed sequenced components of swing down correctly.

Just saying.... :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Not wanting to pick at old scabs, but I disagree...the "young lady is never balanced" by what you view as balanced, in that you like more of a vertically balanced look, and that's fine...to each his own.

I'm a little more open with what I see as "balanced", in that I look at the entire distribution of weight at any particular part of the swing, and if the "front half" looks to be balancing the "back half" (or vice versa), I'm ok with it, and similar to what I see in Edmonds here....
kccpKsO.png

...I see in the young lady here, and throughout her swing process for the most part....
5au0zTo.png

I guess all I'm saying, is that I've seen much worse examples of a young hitter to pattern oneself off of if one so chooses for whatever reason(s) than the one presented in this thread.

Sure, using a HOF or MLB hitter as a swing model is preferred, but I can tell you that I've also had success with some hitters who struggled trying to match the pros (as many/most do) by showing them "good" swings of players closer to their age to copy, as I believe they don't feel as intimidated trying to match someone they see as so far ahead of them, compared to one they can identify with, and say to themselves, "Heck if s/he can do it, so can I"...even if the example of the young hitter in question isn't 100% perfect or a 100% match to any pro player.

Sometimes we just have to be creative, know our audience, and teach to their comprehension, learning process, and most importantly physical abilities and/or coordination they bring to the table. Sure, we'd all love to coach the top 1% of athletically capable players...but the reality of it is that we have a better chance of coaching the ones who have a hard enough time walking and chewing gum at the same time...much less getting all of the perfectly timed sequenced components of swing down correctly.

Just saying.... :)

Well put right there, it's only preferred if effective, not all perfect templates result in successful projects.. some times less expensive templates result in more profitability..

and I have trouble chewing and walking gum at the same time, so it's not just DD's or students, :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd