Low Rise for a Strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
The point of a rise ball low in the zone is to make the batter take what they believe to be a low pitch for a strike. While we all know that a rise ball does not actually rise, our brains tell us how the ball should be falling. When the ball does not fall in the same way our brains tell us, we perceive a "rise".

It is very likely that most women, at the college level and below, do not throw fast enough to for a low rise ball to work effectively, insofar as a pitch thrown under 70mph may give the batter enough time to react to any perceived break.

It could also simply be that most rise ball pitchers spend a lot of time on their rise, and it is often their "fastest" pitch. A pitch thrown low takes less time to break the plane of the plate then a pitch thrown high, so the pitch is actually "faster" when thrown straight/low then it is thrown high. It may just be the decreased time to react that throws the batters off. Maybe this is more ammo for GD's fastball argument? I don't know, just speculating here.

-W

Dec 27, 2011
I'm probably wrong but I was thinking a low rise would look to the batter like it was too low to swing at then cross the plate right above the knees for a called strike,Not a pitch you would necessarily want them to swing at;kind of like a clip I saw of Cat throwing a curve to right handed batters starts way outside looks like a ball then breaks over the plate for a called strike.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
To me a low rise crosses at the belt and a regular crosses at the letters or more. Add in a change and a decent drop, a lot of frustration is possible.

Jan 11, 2010
A low or lower than usual riseball that is thrown correctly with great velocity is very tough to hit at any level. I agree that there are not many HS age pitchers that I have seen that really throw a great rise to start with. But it can be very effective with great velocity and spin. I realize this narrows the pool down but I have seen it be very effective against great hitters. It is very hard to square up and most hitters are not looking for it in the zone as they are taught to lay off.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I rarely talk about my DD's skills and this is not intended to be a brag post.

As many of you know, my DD is a 17yo who is college bound next summer on a DII scholarship. She is considered by many to be one of the best in our area and pitches at the highest level possible in these parts. Her velocity is over 60 and has a pretty successful rise ball.

There is no way on earth she or her coach would even consider a "low rise". That pitch is intended to start on an "up" trajectory from release and finish at or above the strike zone. Because a rise ball doesn't actually rise, throwing it low in the strike zone is a recipe for major disaster.

There are just too many "low in the zone" pitches available to risk the "low rise".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I rarely talk about my DD's skills and this is not intended to be a brag post.

As many of you know, my DD is a 17yo who is college bound next summer on a DII scholarship. She is considered by many to be one of the best in our area and pitches at the highest level possible in these parts. Her velocity is over 60 and has a pretty successful rise ball.

There is no way on earth she or her coach would even consider a "low rise". That pitch is intended to start on an "up" trajectory from release and finish at or above the strike zone. Because a rise ball doesn't actually rise, throwing it low in the strike zone is a recipe for major disaster.

There are just too many "low in the zone" pitches available to risk the "low rise".
Does you dd throw a drop regularly?

Nov 14, 2008
The low rise can be just as effective as a regular or high rise. Our coach teaches the girls to start the ball at or just below the knees and get it to end at the belt or just above. If you it is working correctly the batter is setting up for a low pitch drops the bat head and swings underneath it. When I call pitches I will call for it with 1 strike then with 2 strikes go for a high rise. If I dont get get the out follow with the change and its pretty deadly.

Dont look against it cus it DOESNT SOUND RIGHTwork on it and make it count

Dec 7, 2011
I agree with CnD.

Recently at a Texas camp a low-rb pitcher gave my DD one too many and boom-bye. Now this was after two big swings and misses. Now my DD is also a master of the rb so one could say she threw it to the wrong hitter. But that rb, when hit hard, travels forever off current bats. I say "dont do it". Or just one per ab if ya have to.....

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have found some vids of mid rise balls effective. Second day of looking and still have not found ANY low rise balls........period. I always keep an open mind, if anyone has video I think we would all love to see it.

Jan 20, 2011
goingdeep....check out Eileen Canney.
I don't want to get in the way of your great debate but a possible consideration for the "low rise" is the working of the umpire as well as the batter's zone. After all, this is a perception pitch with a low to high trajectory and if you are using a particular approach to a given team, let's say "hard in and soft away" for example, there are A LOT of very good trained eyes that will begin to give a pitcher a little more liberal zone if they have proven command of it previously. the anti drop (rise) is a great pitch to take the game out of the hands of the Blue and back in the circle. Low rise for a strike?? maybe the pitcher just fooled 2 of the people at the plate instead of 1

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283