Low Rise for a Strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Occasionally, I've seen what I thought was a rise ball thrown at the bottom of the zone for a called strike. Is a low rise used, or did I see something flat and low and misread it as a rise? Or, could it have been a rise that just happened to be way off the mark?

To me it makes some sense for a drop/rise pitcher to occasionally use a low rise. If the spin isn't picked up and the ball is low in the zone, I'd think the batter would see a drop and let it go. (I'd also wonder if the blue might see the same and call "ball?")

I teach both the low and high rise. However if the ball is moving correctly the upward motion is a little to extreme for a strike call. But that does not mean some times it does get called a strike. I teach the low rise to have the batters swing at something low in strike zone, then I have my students use the high to get the out. This method if used correctly is very effective.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I would think that throwing a low rise that a batter would swing at is risky? My preference would be to have the batter swinging at a drop?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sorry for intruding...but I saw the thread title and first thought in my head was " low rise equals long hit."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not intruding at all--kinda what I was hoping for. For sure I understand a rise within the the meat of the strike zone is bad news. As I mentioned, occasionally I've seen what I thought was this pitch at the knees and it resulted in a called strike. Not sure if this was just a flat fastball, or if pitchers really do throw a low rise for a strike after showing several drops?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Guess I'm curious too. Just where are you wanting to put this low rise?

Talking with DD about this. Now she is singing "all my friends throw a low riser". Shes sooooo goofy. :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I think the idea of a low rise is to set up the batter with a drop that's below the knees first, and if its called a ball then come back with the low rise. Batter will probably lay off this pitch thinking its another drop ball that's too low, but if thrown properly, it will rise up and cross at the knees for a strike.

Jun 24, 2009
With 2 strikes,would a low rise not make since if a pitcher has been throwing a good drop then come back with a low rise? Batter swings under the ball or more often than not,backward k.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Please, let's not talk about a low rise. First of all, there are very few girls that throw a regular rise ball. So from that small population you are asking some to throw a ball with enough back spin to stay low in the strike zone and not go down. It is a fantasy.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'll agree with CoachFP, I'll probably see a low rise about the same time as I see one of these running across the infield.

75b6362f4bd1f77c316220e5a7a2001c.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802