Lots of angry Tennesseans.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This may be inappropriate to post, if so my apologies and it can be closed, no hard feelings.

We've had discussions on this forum many times about prayer circles, now it seems our beloved TN Vols are under attack. This hasn't hit the national news outlet much, probably considering the topic. But it's on the lips of every Tennessean the past couple of days. A Wisconsin based group, wants UT Knox to ban pregame prayer, which is a long standing tradition at UT. Not only UT, but a majority of colleges in TN have and still do nonsectarian prayers before athletic events.

What I find odd, is it's rare..........and I mean real rare one of the athletes has an issue with a pregame prayer, especially in the south. It's always some "outside" entity that files a complaint, someone who has no ties to the athletic departments or it's activities.

With so much negativity of our professional players as of late, shouldn't we be focusing on that, then a group of men bowing their heads before an intense physical match?

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a wonderful organization, I have personally witnessed the good they do for athletes of all races and genders. Many many stories of local talented players, with harsh upbringings of neglect/abuse have turned their lives around while involved in the FCA. Shouldn't that be cause for celebration, rather than complaining?

Edit, can't get the link to post. Copied and pasted instead.

A religious watchdog organization is demanding the termination of public prayer practices at the University of Tennessee football games along with documentation of email communications between two Mississippi universities and their Fellowship of Christian Athletes program.

In a cease-and-desist letter to the University of Tennessee, the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) urged the football program to discontinue their practice of “opening football games and any other University of Tennessee Knoxville (UTK) events with prayer.”

“When you’re not religious or are of another faith and you get prayed at during events, it’s really very grating.” Tweet This

“This is a public university, not a Christian club,” wrote FFRF co-president Annie Gaylor. “When you’re not religious or are of another faith and you get prayed at during events, it’s really very grating.”

Despite criticism from FFRF, UT chancellor Jimmy Creek says the university has a constitutional right to conduct a prayer service and references the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals decision, ruling “nonsectarian prayer at public university events does not violate the First Amendment.”

Beverly W. Hooper, a member of UT’s Alumni Board of Governors, says the attack on tradition has her “orange blood” boiling.

“For far too long, we Christians have sat silently by while groups such as Freedom From Religion Foundation have attacked our core values,” she wrote in a letter published in the Knoxville News Sentinel. “This country was founded for us to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.”

The FFRF has previously submitted open record requests for information from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) and Mississippi State University (MSU), regarding religious services and affiliation with noted members of the Christian community.

According to The Charion-Ledger, the atheist group is “questioning the role of religion inside the Ole Miss football program” and is demanding extensive information regarding John Powell, chaplain and member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Similar requests were submitted for MSU’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes chaplain, Bill Buckley, as well as the university’s baseball chaplain, Matt Jolley.

The FFRF’s demands were sent to Ole Miss attorney Lee Tyner earlier this month, and a copy was obtained by The Charion-Ledger, outlining the group’s demands.

According to the September 11th letter, demands include the Fellowship of Christian Athletes turn over records of all schedules, notices, memos, emails, or announcements related to religious services, prayer gatherings, bible studies, FCA meetings, or other religious activities in which the chaplain was involved.

The atheist group is also prying into the religious activities for football players, staff, or their families by requesting all emails exchanged between the football program and the chaplain.

“This group needs to be prayed against,” said Steve McConkey, president of the sports ministry, 4 Winds. “And if enough people stand up, they can be stopped.”

All three cases come after FFRF sent a letter to Clemson in April, “slamming the university for holding devotionals and an FCA breakfast among other supposed infractions,” according to an article written in The Washington Post.

“The most important thing we have is the platform we have to impact the lives of the people in our program,” said Hugh Freeze, head football coach for Ole Miss, as reported in The Post. “When my life comes to an end, how much does that scoreboard really matter?”

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a non-profit, student group of Christian athletes from across the country. Neither Mississippi State University or the University of Mississippi use public funds to pay football chaplains.

Jun 11, 2013
I am not a religious person, but I have no problem at all with a prayer before an event. I was always taught that you respect the beliefs of others around you.

Feb 3, 2011
Of course your post is inappropriate for DFP, but I'm glad you posted anyway. ;)

There's nothing wrong with giving faith-based student organizations the same access to public university facilities as non-faith groups. This means they get to organize, hold meetings, advertise events, etc. They should not, however, be granted an elevated platform.

I observed a team at a tournament this summer that would do what appear to be a group prayer in the pitching circle after games they won. I didn't see them do the same after the 2 games they lost. It wasn't a major intrusion. Field prep wasn't interfered with. I don't think anyone complained.

I think prayer is intended to be an individual thing, but that's my 'belief', as it were. In my experience, seeing it done for show has a cheapening effect, but I tend to see the world quite differently from most people.

Oct 22, 2009
Of course your post is inappropriate for DFP, but I'm glad you posted anyway. ;)

There's nothing wrong with giving faith-based student organizations the same access to public university facilities as non-faith groups. This means they get to organize, hold meetings, advertise events, etc. They should not, however, be granted an elevated platform.

I observed a team at a tournament this summer that would do what appear to be a group prayer in the pitching circle after games they won. I didn't see them do the same after the 2 games they lost. It wasn't a major intrusion. Field prep wasn't interfered with. I don't think anyone complained.

I think prayer is intended to be an individual thing, but that's my 'belief', as it were. In my experience, seeing it done for show has a cheapening effect, but I tend to see the world quite differently from most people.

I agree, we had a local school come under fire because they were demeaning the other teams with their religious banners.
I think it should be an individual thing, if there is a group that wants a prayer circle or whatever, as long as it isn't infringing on the game or being hurtful to the other team, and make sure those with other beliefs receive the same rights.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
' “This group needs to be prayed against,” said Steve McConkey'

I think I've found the problem. I don't buy in any more, but I spent 12 years in Catholic schools - I'm pretty sure Christian values would direct you to pray for a person or group that you consider misguided. JMHO, YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
as long as it isn't being hurtful to the other team

Who gets to decide that?
Public/ 3rd party perception...
As a Christian, to see a Muslim kneeling for example isn't my most favorite thing to witness. However, its also my belief to respect all others in their belief regardless of how different they may be compared to mine. Our country was founded on Christian fundamentals and the ability to be free in your religiousness. This is just our sin driven society's most current move to the book of Revelation in full motion.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
“The most important thing we have is the platform we have to impact the lives of the people in our program,” said Hugh Freeze, head football coach for Ole Miss, as reported in The Post. “When my life comes to an end, how much does that scoreboard really matter?”

Is Freeze saying that spiritual development is a role of the football program at a public university? What does he mean when he says ''when my life comes to an end?'' Is that a reference to the after life, and that he wants to use his platform to prepare his players for that? Is a football coach qualified to do that? Is that what he's hired to do?

If you have prayers before football games at public universities, how do you decide who gives the prayer? Do you rotate among different faiths and religions? Do you reference Jesus Christ? Or Allah? Or do you base it on the majority religion?

Personally, I don't find these prayers to be grating and don't have feelings about how I would like this case to turn out. I grew up in the South and have attended many SEC football games. Pre-game prayers don't bother me. But I'll be curious to see where this goes, and whether it continues to go that way in decades to come. From a legal standpoint, it's not easy to defend, and will continue to get harder, IMO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Is Freeze saying that spiritual development is a role of the football program at a public university? What does he mean when he says ''when my life comes to an end?'' Is that a reference to the after life, and that he wants to use his platform to prepare his players for that? Is a football coach qualified to do that? Is that what he's hired to do?

Spiritual development is not solely anchored to "religious development". A college coach probably has been in his/her sport most of their lives. They have been where their players are now, they can share experiences beyond the field. Real life challenges such as family problems, alcohol, drugs, steroids, media, financial advice, get a girl pregnant, academics, a whole list of mentoring advice.

You can call these "lessons" many things, qualities of life, spiritual development, developing awareness .

When the coach says, "when my life comes to an end", I believe he references.........will he be remembered for only his sports record ( aka the scoreboard ).......or will he be remembered for the good things he did for his players off the field. Was he more than a title of "coach"............was he a friend, a mentor, a father figure, a teacher of life, a guide, and advisor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck