"Unicorn" of High School softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
My DD is an upcoming freshman in high school. I read a lot of threads about high school ball and travel ball and as everyone here knows, there are TONS of opinions on each. The more I read about how some student-athletes have terrible high school programs, it makes me incredibly thankful for our great high school program! Our HS coach and his staff do a great job with their program and it's not uncommon to see our high school HC at TB tournaments looking at, and supporting, his current and upcoming players. If I had to guess, I'd say 90%+ of the players on our high school team also play travel ball. Same can be said about surrounding/conference high schools and the competition is great (most of the time). When some school play against each other, it's like being at a high level TB tournament except the players for the TB teams have been split up to play for their respective high schools. I know my DD is SUPER excited for high school softball. The more I read, the more fortunate I feel. Just to add the "unicorn" - DD's high school is also great academic public school.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
That's kind of how our region is too - we have some great teams. When we play out of region games are a little easier. Our former HC was that way - he would go out to tournaments to see players. We had other problems with him but that was something cool that he did that we liked. There's good and bad in most programs I'd imagine. I hope it all works out great for your DD!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My DD is an upcoming freshman in high school. I read a lot of threads about high school ball and travel ball and as everyone here knows, there are TONS of opinions on each. The more I read about how some student-athletes have terrible high school programs, it makes me incredibly thankful for our great high school program! Our HS coach and his staff do a great job with their program and it's not uncommon to see our high school HC at TB tournaments looking at, and supporting, his current and upcoming players. If I had to guess, I'd say 90%+ of the players on our high school team also play travel ball. Same can be said about surrounding/conference high schools and the competition is great (most of the time). When some school play against each other, it's like being at a high level TB tournament except the players for the TB teams have been split up to play for their respective high schools. I know my DD is SUPER excited for high school softball. The more I read, the more fortunate I feel. Just to add the "unicorn" - DD's high school is also great academic public school.
Forsyth County and surrounding area has always been rich in softball & baseball, had plenty of dogfights up in that area!

Dec 19, 2021
Similar situation here, now that we are 2 years into HS. 1st season, old crusty coach but had been in the game for 40 years and knew his stuff. 1 state champ and one runner-up banner. Made it to the semi's that year.

2nd season crusty retired, and DD's org head took over, and new AC is a recent D1 all-American. Younger team but still did some damage in the playoffs going out to the runner-up (which has 4 of DD's TB teammates).

Contrast with a TB teammate that plays for a 2A school. She hit over .650 but some of her teammates can hardly catch a ball. Last year they scored 32 runs in a game, and LOST.

With rare exception, in our area the best players DO play HS ball. D1 kids are all over the place. That makes it fun and makes it matter.

The big thing is there is great competition most weeks. They beat the eventual state champ mid-season. And those wins over the rivals REALLY matter to the girls, coaches, and parents. DD scored the winning run from first on a walk-off triple in a playoff game to beat the in-section rival. Parents, players, staff all just erupted and the players mobbed the hitter at 3rd. And tears were flowing in the other dugout.

For us, TB was a tool to gain enough skill to play HS. Now it looks like she can play after HS. I get it that not everyone has a situation like this. We count ourselves lucky. But don't throw down a blanket statement that HS ball doesn't matter. It matters a heck of a lot to plenty of kids out there.

Aug 6, 2013
But don't throw down a blanket statement that HS ball doesn't matter. It matters a heck of a lot to plenty of kids out there.
When people are saying high school ball doesn't matter they are talking from a recruiting standpoint usually.

Playing for your high school team means a lot to many many girls - it's community, it school spirit, it's fun with your friends. FWIW HS ball is good DD's area as well. Sure there are crummy teams but there are just as many GOOD teams.

That being said - my daughter committed to play in college and not once did her future college coach ask her about her high school team. He didn't ask her about how she did or her stats. We were grateful for that because she blows in HS ball (no ball FR/covid year, awful SOPH year, less awful but still not great her JR year, we joke that SR year is going to be HER YEAR), lol, it must be some mental block because her first weekend back playing with her TB she goes 6/11 with line drive lasers all over the field. Girls can play travel only and still get recruited. Girls that play HS only have a harder time - not saying it doesn't happen, it just doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812