Looking for suggestions for things to work on with DDs hitting.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Here are two swings from this past weekend, one regular speed followed by slow motion. What are the things you see that we should work on? Thanks.

[video=youtube_share;XtkfPErlSe4]http://youtu.be/XtkfPErlSe4[/video]

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would work on throwing the barrel with the top hand. Drills: throw the bat, top hand only short bat swing, and split grip swing feeling the top hand throwing past the bottom. What I don't see is extension, which is a natural result of throwing the barrel.

Other than that it looks really good. She has a lot of things similiar to my dd's game swing.

Jun 20, 2008
IMO the beginning where she seperates and goes to toe touch and heel plant are good, at that point instead of the hands staying back and the bottom half pushing and leading the swing, she just kind of pops up on the toe instead of driving off the back foot and the hands get ahead of the hips, then after contact she rolls her wrists and finishes low instead of instead of powering through the ball and finishing high...

Oct 6, 2011
IMO she looks good, but looks like she is loading up late. The first at bat she is late to the contact zone. But it is hard to tell when you can't see the pitcher.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Video is not playing so well on my computer. From What I can see DD is not down and in on toe touch. Your dd has good tilt but, seems to be to soon. I like more of a weight shift to the front side. If your DD was more down and in she would have more weight out on the front leg. Your DD reaches out with her front leg needs to get a better weight shift to her front leg. The rear leg should be in charge of the stride leg.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here are two swings from this past weekend, one regular speed followed by slow motion. What are the things you see that we should work on? Thanks.

What sort of results are typical for her? What would she like to see happen more often that isn't? What are you observing? It would be great if you tackled those questions for us.

She sure seems to be in a decent attack position but doesn't hit it very hard.
IMO the beginning where she seperates and goes to toe touch and heel plant are good, at that point instead of the hands staying back and the bottom half pushing and leading the swing, she just kind of pops up on the toe instead of driving off the back foot and the hands get ahead of the hips, then after contact she rolls her wrists and finishes low instead of instead of powering through the ball and finishing high...
Seems like a good place to start.

On a previous thread FFS has me picture the hands sitting on a shelf and my dd's lower body movement pulled her hands off the shelf. To me that helped connect the powerful rotation of the lower half with the upper half/barrel. Your dd doesn't seem to have that connection.

In general great game swing and very athletic. i am sure she helps her team alot.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree that she reaches with her stride rather than maintaining her coil a little longer. Also agree that her bat extension is a little short.

I'm guessing that she still hits hard shots, though. Am I right or wrong?

PS: After reading lhowser's post I also believe she needs to lead with the hips while the hands "stay on the shelf" until pulled off the shelf.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks to all for you comments.

What sort of results are typical for her? What would she like to see happen more often that isn't? What are you observing? It would be great if you tackled those questions for us.

lhowser, She ended last July hitting for a lot of power, a few home runs and a lot of deep outfield shots. We took some time off and recently started Fall Ball. Since fall started, she is hitting less for power, and more balls right into the ground.... fewer line drives and deep shots.

I'm guessing that she still hits hard shots, though. Am I right or wrong?

softballphreak, she hits hard shots, but not as hard as she finished last summer.

DD turned 14 in August, her team is playing up in 16U this fall. This is the first time with metal cleats, and she is trying to get used to them. This may sound strange, but I think when she started using the new metal cleats she as inadvertently adjusted something in her lower body mechanics.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm sure they "dig in" better. DD may need time to adjust to the new feel. Kind of like me when I first wore high heels and...opps forget that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32