Looking for some tips and feedback on my swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
Hi,
First time poster here. I play in a recreational league and was wondering if anyone here could help me improve my swing.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Welcome, natenate! Your swing actually looks pretty good. You are very sudden and explosive with your swing. In that series of swings, I notice there are a few where you "short arm" your swing, which is another way of saying a lack of extension. Here is a clip that shows a way to think about lengthening your swing:
Hitting through 3 Balls

Here is a drill that will help you get the feel of extending. With this drill, have the focus be on what your top hand does after contact. Stay "short" with your top hand until after contact and then allow that top hand to extend out toward the pitcher.

Inverted Grip Drill

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Natenate,

I will echo Mounti3SB above. Good swing. If I'm going to nitpick, it would be to say watch that front leg kick. It's getting a little too high and throwing off your balance.

Jul 24, 2013
Thank you MountieSB and WBCoach for your input!

@MountieSB: I will definately work on extension when I get back home. I have never heard of the term, and I'm excited to see how it will help me with my batting. I find that my swing is weak and inconsistant when trying to hit pitches that are not low and inside, and I can only hit well to left field. Do you think my lack of extension is the reason why?

@WBCoach: I'm going to try swinging with less of a leg kick, but I feel like I already generate too little power from my legs and hips in my swing. How can I get more power from my legs and hips?

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Thank you MountieSB and WBCoach for your input!

@MountieSB: I will definately work on extension when I get back home. I have never heard of the term, and I'm excited to see how it will help me with my batting. I find that my swing is weak and inconsistant when trying to hit pitches that are not low and inside, and I can only hit well to left field. Do you think my lack of extension is the reason why?

@WBCoach: I'm going to try swinging with less of a leg kick, but I feel like I already generate too little power from my legs and hips in my swing. How can I get more power from my legs and hips?

It's possible that your lack of extension is giving you trouble to the opposite field. If you're short-arming, it would seem to make sense that you're having trouble with the outside pitch - you may literally be "too short" to the ball. It could also be a symptom of trying to pull everything - or in other words - hitting the outside pitch out in front of the plate.

Ideally, you want to drive the inside half of the ball with your barrel. Cliff's Notes version: the closer your barrel is to your hands at contact, the stronger your swing will be. In order to hit an outside pitch with your barrel close to your hands, you need to let it get deeper (closer to the catcher). It looks like you already do a pretty good job of this, so maybe short-arming is your trouble with the outside pitch. It never hurts to get better and/or reinforce what you're doing well, so ere are photos that show the proper zone to hit inside, down-the-middle and outside pitches , and where to put your barrel on the ball:
Hitting Inside Seam 01.jpg
Tee Position for Inside, Middle, and Outside Pitches.jpg

Here is a clip that shows a great drill on how to attack the outside pitch: Attack Oppo Drill

As far as your leg kick, you seem to do a pretty good job of using your core to generate power. A way to make it a bit more efficient (and use less leg) would be to load into and around your back leg, some call it "coil into load" which helps you generate force. Once you coil around that back leg, hold that coil until you're ready to attack the ball. The "spring" effect will really allow you to drive into the ball. Here's a clip of what this looks like: Coil and Uncoil Hips

Notice how much power she generates without much of a leg kick. A great drill to work on this is the Walkthrough Drill or Happy Gilmore drill.

Good luck as you work on these. Keep us posted by posting your progress!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207