looking for pitching coach Los Angeles area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2013
Hi, I'm new to this forum, just joined today I stumbled on to it from a softball search on Google. Just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for a pitching coach. I'm located in the Los Angeles area in California, my daughter just started playing softball this fall and she fell in love with it, she's 9 years old and wants to pitch but I have no clue about softball. Any tips or help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I did some research on PCs in SoCal a while ago when I was looking for one. I have a few on a list somewhere (mostly OC though) When you say LA area, can you be more specific? as you know, if you live in Santa Monica and get a PC in the valley, you might be setting yourself up for a 4 hour, 15 mile commute :)

here is a link to the website for Don Sarno's instruction in Yorba Linda. It was too much of a haul for me, but when I did my research, he was the one that seemed to be the best or one of the best in SoCal.

http://www.baseballsoftballworld.com/staff.htm

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
that's a little north of where I searched, the farthest north I went was in OC. I bet if you contact the link I put in the first post though they would have a good recommendation in your area. From what I could tell, Don was a nationally renowned instructor so I am sure they are tapped in to the best instructors all over socal.

One thing I would say is that you are missing out on something special with your daughter by going to a PC immediately. Many of us did not know anything about pitching before we found this board and were and are our DDs first/main pitching coach. Pitching is not a once a week lesson type of thing. it is a 3-4 times a week practice with dad or mom and go to a PC once a week type of thing. So you will have to learn a lot about pitching anyway just to make sure she is practicing right. The benefit of jumping in yourself is that you will be able to make a better decision about a pitching coach when the time comes. It is a very worthwhile way to spend your time. I work from home and everyday around this time I start to get eager to polish things up so we can practice while there is still light. Everything you need to do this successfully is right here. BMs I/R in the classroom thread will give you the drills to get started and the support you will get from other people in your shoes and some top level PCs that frequent this board will be amazing.

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks jjsqueeze will check out those threads and tips. Plus thanks for the tip on me starting her out. I had just assumed since I don't know, just get a pitching coach but now I will rethink my decision. Thank you for the help

Jul 14, 2008
Here's my advice.........If you are a non-athlete who can't even catch or throw a ball (don't laugh people, some people just aren't athletic) I wouldn't attempt to do this yourself.......

BUT........If you ever taught yourself to do ANYTHING athletic, including pogo-sticking, tennis, playing catch, bowling, riding a bike, skiing, cart-wheeling, somersaulting, bla-bla-bla.........

Read up and start playing catch underhand..........It's actually pretty fun..........

I'm 57 and I still love playing catch underhand.........:)

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will watch and read up all the information I can on this forum.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you're going to take on the task yourself, in addition to the I/R threads on DFP, I suggest including Bill Hillhouse's DVD "Building the House" in your education process.

Apr 7, 2012
Here's my advice.........If you are a non-athlete who can't even catch or throw a ball (don't laugh people, some people just aren't athletic) I wouldn't attempt to do this yourself.......

BUT........If you ever taught yourself to do ANYTHING athletic, including pogo-sticking, tennis, playing catch, bowling, riding a bike, skiing, cart-wheeling, somersaulting, bla-bla-bla.........

Read up and start playing catch underhand..........It's actually pretty fun..........

I'm 57 and I still love playing catch underhand.........:)

For a lack of a pitching coach in our area, and besides making a trip to Bill Hillhouse in Chicago (when we can) I have to agree with Boardmember. I have gotten alot of information from him and many others.. My daughter is 9 and just started last year. We had to change her style from HE to I/R / Whipping method and she is doing very well right now.. I am always checking this site out to see what i can teach her and EVERYONE is VERY WILLING TO HELP OUT!! ITS GREAT!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying