Looking for help on the peel drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Now you're stating the obvious, a pitcher needs different pitches that have different movement. And, assuming the spin axis is the same, more spin equals more movement.

I just reviewed Jennie Finch WCWS game against UCLA . That picture you posted is of her changeup, she rolls around the outside of the ball and has that twisted finish.

Sep 19, 2018
Here is a link to a Mizuno ad with Jennie Finch. At the very end is a good slo-mo of her throwing her drop, you can plainly see the top spin, and she has a high finish, not the contorted rollover arm twister in the picture. Skip to 1:30 and watch how she does it.

I don't think that is her drop. I think her fastball just has top spin.

Jul 22, 2015
Here is a link to a Mizuno ad with Jennie Finch. At the very end is a good slo-mo of her throwing her drop, you can plainly see the top spin, and she has a high finish, not the contorted rollover arm twister in the picture. Skip to 1:30 and watch how she does it.

The "finish" is irrelevant to the pitch itself. Many pitchers, even at a high level (Finch is one example of this), force a finish that has nothing to do with what actually happens at release. NOT arguing which pitch is which, I just wouldn't judge it by the finish.

Jan 6, 2018
Trajectory also plays a key role along with shoulder/torso orientation in relation to vertical. The same 4 seam fastball will do very different things with the torso 8 degrees behind vertical vs. 3 degrees behind vertical. My DD can hit 23RPS, but if she throws it too far behind vertical, it's a cookie.

Edit to add - sorry, just re-read this thread. Trajectory was discussed like a week ago, LOL. I just think it's sooo important it's worth repeating! My memory isn't what it used to be!

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The "finish" is irrelevant to the pitch itself. Many pitchers, even at a high level (Finch is one example of this), force a finish that has nothing to do with what actually happens at release. NOT arguing which pitch is which, I just wouldn't judge it by the finish.
Absolutely, you can't post a picture of a finish and then claim it is a certain pitch, you have to look at video of the whole pitch to see the spin and the trajectory. In the case of the picture of JF that Slugger posted I saw that finish multiple times in a game she pitched and the speed was in the low fifties, ie changeup.

Jennie Finch throws a bullet spin fastball. Check out this video of her and the spin is obvious, I assume she is throwing her fastball for the purposes of the experiment. Go to 37 seconds for the start of the pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA