Looking for some videos on "Hello Elbow" style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
No, I'm not teaching Hello Elbow. ;)

I see all this talk about how it's taught by so many instructors, yet I can't find much about it on youtube. I'm working my way through the paulygirl certification and want to have a better understanding of the differences, and to better know what to look for when assessing a throwing motion.

Anyone got some resources I can check out? It would be much appreciated!

Apr 12, 2015

Basically look for anyone that says "get on top of the ball" or "push the ball down the circle" or something similar.

Hello Elbow was/is a marketing term developed by Jennie Finch's father to market his instruction and the way he taught his daughter (who doesn't pitch anything like what they teach).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is great. I figured I was probably searching on the wrong key words.
A lot of them won't really label it Hello Elbow. For me, the biggest thing to look for is if they point the ball toward second base (unless it's a changeup). There are other signs, but that one is always part of HE teaching from my experience.

I just searched "Softball Pitching."

This was the second video that popped up:
Attach files
The good news is the other "How tos" that popped up with this search were Scarborough and Ashton Ward (on MegRem's challen), and those are both good.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Attach files
The good news is the other "How tos" that popped up with this search were Scarborough and Ashton Ward (on MegRem's challen), and those are both good.

It was almost comical how often this PC and others who adamantly taught the HE style here in CO were recommended to aspiring pitchers. They refused to even consider that top level pitchers were NOT using these mechanics and made fun of anything resembling IR. Videos/stills, referrals to this site, etc., were not welcome. Times have changed somewhat and thankfully there are a few, more open minded PC's who have learned what is actually happening.

Jan 25, 2022
A lot of them won't really label it Hello Elbow. For me, the biggest thing to look for is if they point the ball toward second base (unless it's a changeup). There are other signs, but that one is always part of HE teaching from my experience.

I just searched "Softball Pitching."

Attach files

Yeah after I saw the first two replies I realized I was overthinking the search choices. These people are all over the place. I found a bunch more videos.

Knowing what I know from observation l and from how much of the pauly cert I've completed (probably 75%), the wrist snap style really looks like it's leaving significant power in the tank. It's kinda hard to watch some of these--especially the ones who teach a fully extended arm rotation.

Jan 25, 2022
It was almost comical how often this PC and others who adamantly taught the HE style here in CO were recommended to aspiring pitchers. They refused to even consider that top level pitchers were NOT using these mechanics and made fun of anything resembling IR. Videos/stills, referrals to this site, etc., were not welcome. Times have changed somewhat and thankfully there are a few, more open minded PC's who have learned what is actually happening.
Learning all this has me wondering how many of the local kids throw this way. A couple of our HS girls do as far as I can tell. I'm helping the MS and LL girls who are just getting started. Trying to convert someone who's pitched that way a long time (when I'm still new to it as well) would be pretty difficult. I have to be selective also because a lot of kids won't work at home. Two 30 minute sessions a week at practice does not a pitcher make.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Learning all this has me wondering how many of the local kids throw this way. A couple of our HS girls do as far as I can tell. I'm helping the MS and LL girls who are just getting started. Trying to convert someone who's pitched that way a long time (when I'm still new to it as well) would be pretty difficult. I have to be selective also because a lot of kids won't work at home. Two 30 minute sessions a week at practice does not a pitcher make.

Once you see enough pitching, it becomes pretty easy to tell who throws that way, and even those who were taught that way but whose natural ability is overcoming the bad teaching. You'll also see some who appear to "want" to throw the right way but they're trying very hard to do what they're being told.

I can't fix a good pitcher's minor mechanical issues, but seeing some of these big differences becomes easy after a while.

Can't tell you how many times we've played some other team/school and I've thought "She would be a really good pitcher if she had someone who knew what they were doing teaching her."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles