Looking for help on the peel drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Lol. Poops. Auto correct error.
PRO-NATION. ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

‘Muherica!!!

Looking forward to teaching my daughter to be a pitcher AND a patriot! :)

But thank you sluggers for the videos and explanation. We’re still working on general accuracy with the FB and consistency with the change up, but would like to start on a drop by the end of summer. Showing her the videos will be a great starting point.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If this is going to be her main movement pitch, she has to put a lot more spin on the drop ball than a normal fastball...otherwise, it won't move more. To get more spin, the IR of the arm has to be quicker.

The pitcher has to get the IR "more compressed". That means the pitcher has to start the forearm IR as late as possible and finish the forearm IR as quickly as possible. My DD was told, "Pretend like you are screwing the ball into the pitcher's rubber."

Because the IR of the arm is faster on a drop, the follow through is different...which is how you get all the weird arm positions after a drop is released.

I've attached a picture of the grip my DD used. Notice the position of the middle finger on the seam. The middle finger is important because that imparts the spin on the ball.

During the pitch, she digs the tip of her middle finger into the seam. The middle finger is the last finger on the ball. She brings the middle finger up as fast as possible to her thumb.

Here is a slomo view of her throwing a drop. Watch the middle finger. You can see the middle finger closing rapidly toward her thumb.

This is a back view so you can see the movement. You see the ball about waist high and then suddenly it is at the ankles.

IMHO (but not my DD's), she has an exaggerated follow through that probably is not necessary. My DD's opinion, which is probably more valuable, is, "I don't care what your opinion is, Dad. That is what it took to get the ball to drop."

Is this more 2 seam than 4 seam?

May 9, 2019
Never understood the forward tilting of hips to make it drop. If you tilt forward.. Isn't that equivalent to an earlier release without tilt?

Since an IR release should generate a 1/7 tilt spin wouldn't that alone cause drop if spin rate was sufficient?

Nov 18, 2015
If I’m catching, I can tilt my hips w/o really changing my torso angle. I can’t do it standing - is it even possible to tilt the hips and not have the torso lean fwd?

Jul 22, 2015
If I’m catching, I can tilt my hips w/o really changing my torso angle. I can’t do it standing - is it even possible to tilt the hips and not have the torso lean fwd?

Think back hip higher than front hip as if throwing downhill, not tilted as in head out over toes

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Slugger's daughter does not have what I consider to be a 'classic' peel drop action, she rolls over it a little. If you look at her follow through you can see this. Cat Osterman's peel follow through is different. It will be interesting to see what Bill H says if he checks in.

A rollover drop often has some curve spin on it so it breaks down and away from a righty. I typically teach that action for a hard curveball vs a palm up curve which is often slower.

There are many ways to spin a ball which is why it's a good idea to experiment with different grips and actions. As always it is very important for a pitcher to be able to recognize the spin on a ball so that she has feedback for what she is doing.

Nov 18, 2015
Think back hip higher than front hip as if throwing downhill, not tilted as in head out over toes

So not so much anterior / posterior (front/back, if I have the terminology right) but more right /left? Front hip meaning closer to the batter?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2015
So not so much anterior / posterior (front/back, if I have the terminology right) but more right /left? Front hip meaning closer to the batter?

Thanks!

Yes sir. Front hip for RHP would be the left hip. One of the best cues my dd received to help achieve proper hip position was to imagine throwing her drop striding down a hill (as if on a baseball pitcher's mound) and opposite for rise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma