Locked Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2011
My daughter is 12 and throughout her motion locks her elbow and has a hard time releasing the ball properly. She throws fairly hard for her age but spin is more like a side spin when released because she is not being the ball. Any suggestions on how to work on getting her elbow to lead into her hip and stay behind the ball at release to create the proper spin!!

Jun 9, 2011
1. double check overall body positioning to the power line staying open...

2. double check grip on the ball taking time to look at the thumb

3. in slow stepped phases, move thru the motion guiding her arm as it should go. checking every point along the way. including balance, rotation...everything.

4. repeat

5. repeat, repeat and so on until the muscle memory is retrained

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Denny Throneberg a lone time ago came up with "frames". A frame is a portion of the pitching motion. There are whole frames, half-frames and quarter frames.

The pitcher gets open (facing 3rd base) with feet spread. She then throws the ball from this position without moving her feet.

In a full-frame, the pitcher points the glove hand and the ball hand at the catcher, does a complete revolution, and throws. In a half-frame, the pitcher raises her arm above her head and throws. In a quarter-frame, the pitcher takes the pitching arm back until it is parallel to the ground, and then throws.

If you understand the concept of "frames", then here is how to fix it.

First, have her do quarter-frames. Go over to her and physically put a slight bend in her arm and have her throw. Have her do this several times.

Next, have her do some half frames. When she raises her arm over her head, you take her arm put a slight bend in it, and then have her throw.

Attached are shots of Osterman and Finch, so you can see about how much bend to put in the arm. (They are, of course, pitching and not doing frames.)

The other thing to do is take her out and teach her how to skip rocks. You can't skip rocks with a straight arm, and it is a whole lot of fun.

Attachments

• osterman12.JPG
    osterman12.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 38
  • finch-at-12..JPG
    finch-at-12..JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2011
She does tend to close herself off a little on the power line but even when she does do it correctly her release still gives a side spin. When refering to the thumb are you talking about being underneath the ball. Thanks for the help!

1. double check overall body positioning to the power line staying open...

2. double check grip on the ball taking time to look at the thumb

3. in slow stepped phases, move thru the motion guiding her arm as it should go. checking every point along the way. including balance, rotation...everything.

4. repeat

5. repeat, repeat and so on until the muscle memory is retrained

Jun 9, 2011
Welcome! Like "Sluggers" said...can't move your feet at this point. Stay open. Don't even need to throw the ball right away. Break down the motion completely to get the elbow leading...with the thumb underneath the ball and without pushing the ball (need to snap) you should get the right spin...

photos "sluggers" attached are excellent!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach the Throneburg method. I think that the VHS tape is still available for purchase. I start the girls out on their knees, too, just like on the tape.

I tell the girls that when I say that anything is straight, I do not mean locked and then, I have them practice both ways, showing them the difference. Because, I say I want the arm straight at the top of the circle and I want them landing on a straight front leg. I do not mean locked.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Also, in what sluggers describes as the quarter frame, make sure the ball is facing 3rd base (or 1st for a left-hander), or even up; not with the hand on top and the ball facing down.

My DD was taught to use the frames method as warm-up (though I didn't know the name), but I think mistakenly with the hand on top.

I think that the VHS tape is still available for purchase.

But what would you do with it :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32