Little League All-Star roster questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe I am not being clear. I am offering a girl who didn't make the team a chance to continue with softball. She would get to practice with the team and improve. If she or her parents dont want to that is fine as well. And if she does then she will get lots of higher level practice and a chance to play in games.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can see that the both of you could go back and forth on this situation for a very long time. At the end of the day, each of you have very different opinions on the situation.

In my area, private instruction was very limited until the opening of an indoor batting cage. While there is instruction, it is hard to book a lesson. It is very much in demand. With there being one softball lane in the whole building, it's hard to find a time slot in which that is open.

I would discuss it with the parents and see how they feel about the situation. I don't know if it would be legal for her to come, dressed in uniform, or not. I think it could be beneficial for her to be part of this team, even as a confidence booster. While she might not get to play, it may be worth it just for the practice. It ultimately depends on what the parents want to do. I would offer them the opportunity, at least.

May 9, 2008
Just keep in mind when you say that she would have a chance to play in games, the only way that would happen is if one of the other players had to be dropped from the roster for some reason. Once you start the tournament with 13 players, you can not have more than 13 on your roster. Also if you do replace a player on the roster, that player cannot return to the roster.

Jan 20, 2010
Just keep in mind when you say that she would have a chance to play in games, the only way that would happen is if one of the other players had to be dropped from the roster for some reason. Once you start the tournament with 13 players, you can not have more than 13 on your roster. Also if you do replace a player on the roster, that player cannot return to the roster.

That was the point of my original post. Can she be on the roster but not play by choice if she does not dress.

May 9, 2008
You might get away with that for one game. But if she's on your affidavit she is expected to play, unless injured or sick. Once she hasn't played for 2 or 3 games you will most likely get questions from the Tournament Director and most likely be asked to remove her from the roster, or worse if someone thinks you have put her on the regular section of the roster to be used as an alternate. If an opposing coach catches on to what your doing and pushes the subject and it gets pushed up to the Tournament Committee there is no telling what they could do. Forfeiture of a game is a possibility. All in all it is not worth the risk. Extra players that you do not intend to play should never be added to the affidavit.

May 25, 2010
As long as her insurance is current, let the girl work out with your team when you practice.

If she wants to attend games like other fans, she's more than welcome, but she's not on your current team.

If you're going into a weekend tournament and need to pick up a player, she's your first option, and would be included when you submitted your roster to the TD.

Oct 18, 2009
Little League Alternate

I know what you are trying to do. You need 13 in the dugout to have 3 coaches in the dugout. To answer your question I believe Little League All Star rules allows for her to be an alternate if one of the original 13 can't make it but she cannot dress. If someone cannot make it bringing you down to 12 you can only have 2 coaches in the dugout meaning on offense an adult coach at 3B and a player (kid) coach at 1B.

Just so some of the other responders understand what original poster is trying to do... If there are less than 13 players, there can only be 2 coaches. In the Little League All Star tournament (the one where the 12yo girls get to be on ESPN if they keep winning like the boys LLWS) there is mandatory play for each girl. You bat 9 and have to sub. Most teams I know do not like to carry 13 because since you can only pull from your local area usually the talent pool in that area is not that deep and the extra players are usually much weaker than the starting 9. In a close game you may be forced to pull your starter for a weaker player. Most teams like to only carry 11 or 12 strong players. Little League rewards you for adding a 13th by giving you the 3rd coach.

Andyh sounds like he is helping this player out by offering her a chance to practice and pssibly make the team... otherwise he could just cut her.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I know what you are trying to do. You need 13 in the dugout to have 3 coaches in the dugout. To answer your question I believe Little League All Star rules allows for her to be an alternate if one of the original 13 can't make it but she cannot dress. If someone cannot make it bringing you down to 12 you can only have 2 coaches in the dugout meaning on offense an adult coach at 3B and a player (kid) coach at 1B.

Just so some of the other responders understand what original poster is trying to do... If there are less than 13 players, there can only be 2 coaches. In the Little League All Star tournament (the one where the 12yo girls get to be on ESPN if they keep winning like the boys LLWS) there is mandatory play for each girl. You bat 9 and have to sub. Most teams I know do not like to carry 13 because since you can only pull from your local area usually the talent pool in that area is not that deep and the extra players are usually much weaker than the starting 9. In a close game you may be forced to pull your starter for a weaker player. Most teams like to only carry 11 or 12 strong players. Little League rewards you for adding a 13th by giving you the 3rd coach.
QUOTE]

Great post and I think you hit the nail on the head of the true motivation for the question. It has nothing to do with allowing this girl the opportunity to play but more on wanting to have 3 coaches in the dugout.

Nov 18, 2009
It sounds like you are naming an alternate on the affiddavit which is not allowed under LL rules. I believe that if you remove a player from the affiddavit due to her having to miss a game and replace her you are not allowed to put her back on the roster. Your district administrator should be able to answer these question off the top of his/her head.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06