"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
IMO, for some hitters combining the cues "let it get deep" with the idea of an 'out from" path can help them solve an 'around the ball' sweeping swing that will tend to result in weak pull shots (vs. truly turning on an inside pitch and blasting it)....it shortens things up, much like Bonds is advocating with hit the plate.

Feb 25, 2020
Because the odds of hitting it foul goes way up IMO... I’m not saying the ball won’t go to LF or RF just don’t attempt to put it there. I believe Bonds was a pull hitter, Miggy isn’t. After all we are talking about milliseconds between hitting it to CF or pull side. Why not give yourself a little breathing room..... IMO when most amateurs attempt to pull the ball they PULL the ball. Our definition of pull are probably a little different also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Bond's was a pull hitter because he stood right on top of the plate! (smartly)

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I’m not saying pull everything, I’m saying hit the ball where it’s pitched, if inside, a little out front, if outside and little back

Constantly fouling ball off is not a result of hitting the ball out front, it’s a result of bad mechanics... around the ball, instead through the ball. That being said, nothing wrong with thinking UTM and reacting inside and out

I agree with this..... like I said in my previous post I believe we have a difference in what we believe to be a “pulled” ball...... I don’t really consider ball flight to determine whether a ball was pulled or not..... TDS alluded to this in his post about “turning” on the inside pitch..... When I wrote that I want my DD to “stay in the middle of the field”. I was referring to her direction not ball flight.

Aug 20, 2017
To me, letting the ball get deep means don’t chase it with the upper body. Stay behind the ball and let the ball travel are the same for me. I think a swing that allows for the ball to travel longer is a swing with a high level of adjustability. Like all ques, this one is not for every hitter. I use if for those that chase after it with the upper body after foot down

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks for starting the thread Julray.....

I hear it all the time “they need to let the ball travel more” or “let the ball get deeper”.

I can’t understand the point of wanting to actually make contact deep in relation to the body and IMO puts the hitter at a disadvantage by creating a tighter window of timing.

Is the ideal contact point actually deep in reference to the body?

What are the advantages to allowing the ball to get deep?

Also what is considered “deep”?

Is it meant to signal a mechanical flaw that is seen in the swing? If so, what is the most common flaw associated with the statement?

I will use Buster as an example. The bat looks to be entering the zone at pretty much the same time in relation to ball location for all three pitch locations... Contact looks to be in the same location in reference to depth

What am I missing here?

f7d1e2d9673c33e10eac68319d72c13a.png

6b97c610ea7383394ce9b7779efeb61c.png

I see Posey with different hand positions, everything else is similar. Unless, you purposely stop the lower body and cast the hands to punch the ball oppo.

On the inside pitch his hands are close to being inline with the midline of the body, close to directly in front of the chest. The
middle pitch, the hands are in front of the back shoulder, although still in front. The outside pitch the hands less in front of the body and can even be considered as casting a little.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
She has hit a lot of balls here. If let it get deeper is wrong to say? What would be a better approach? Yes, thanks for starting this Thread J.

Attachments

• 020D66FF-5A8F-49C9-8595-DBC3CE7A9D7C.png
    020D66FF-5A8F-49C9-8595-DBC3CE7A9D7C.png
    834.4 KB · Views: 27
Feb 16, 2015
South East
To me, letting the ball get deep means don’t chase it with the upper body. Stay behind the ball and let the ball travel are the same for me. I think a swing that allows for the ball to travel longer is a swing with a high level of adjustability. Like all ques, this one is not for every hitter. I use if for those that chase after it with the upper body after foot down

Do you consider the below swing to be the chase after it with upper body swing?

May 12, 2016
She has hit a lot of balls here. If let it get deeper is wrong to say? What would be a better approach? Yes, thanks for starting this Thread J.
If that's an inside pitch, looks like perfect contact point to me, that's where most damage is done IMO. She's not reaching, looks like the body is in good position.. etc. JMHO

If I'm a coach and this is in a game.. or even practice and I yeah "Let it get deeper/travel". How does one compute that? A lot of young hitters are very literal, I've seen it time and time again. For example, coach asks 3rd baseman to move in, they keep moving until the coach says stop. If a coach asks a 3rd baseman to move in a few steps, the 3rd baseman will move in 3 steps. So when a coach shouts.. "let it get deep", hows a hitter supposed to determine what that exactly means? Also I believe how deep depends on pitch location. I believe in one of Bonds videos he demos, "If I get here, then I can hit it here(outside), or here(inside), outside being deeper contact point, inside being more out front. So I think a coach needs to setup different tee locations and explain what getting deeper is and how it can vary with pitch location. At least that way a hitter has something to reference.

Aug 20, 2017
Do you consider the below swing to be the chase after it with upper body swing?

Nah, Manny has great adjustability. Most MLBers do. During rotation, I’ve got a couple players that leak forward with the upper body causing them to have to time it up perfectly out in front of them to hit it hard. When you don’t rotate on axis the hands will push some and the barrel will enter the zone later.

May 3, 2018
My daughter (10u) has a habit of swinging early, hitting the ball off the end of the bat. Her coach has used "Let it get deep" as a cue to her to wait just a bit longer before swinging. I'm sure it means different things to different people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles