length, size of bats in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Just curious what size of bats the top schools are using in college. I see a lot of big girls using drop 10 bats and especially curious to know if some of the shorter girls are using 34" bats (like Florida ' s K. Merritt 5'4"). A coach who's daughter pitches for a D2 school says they know every bat and if it's an end loaded model, they try pitching up and in to make it harder on them etc...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't remember who, but I kept rewinding a LS team a month ago. You can see the length on the knob easy on LS. It had to be lsu, Kentucky, or FSU. I was suprised that almost everyone I could spot was 33". I could only spot the drop on one, it was -10. Almost every girl was still choking up an inch or so. Choking up, another observation, I bet 9/10 of the girls on TV this season are choking up a little.

The one girl from Arizona is the only one I can recall seeing use a slow pitch bat (easton salvo). In the past you would see a sp bat on almost every team.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I have been searching for this information too. All over the internet. Struck out....

I just needed to buy DD another bat and I struggled with the 33 vs 34 question. I know DD's TB coach was strong on getting DD to use a 33 last year BUT DD was still weak just after her injury-season. I ended up getting the 34 again but I can just hear DD's TB coach we will be seeing all the time now that HS ended saying "crud,...ya should have got a 33......"

Oct 10, 2011
I don't remember who, but I kept rewinding a LS team a month ago. You can see the length on the knob easy on LS. It had to be lsu, Kentucky, or FSU. I was suprised that almost everyone I could spot was 33". I could only spot the drop on one, it was -10. Almost every girl was still choking up an inch or so. Choking up, another observation, I bet 9/10 of the girls on TV this season are choking up a little.

The one girl from Arizona is the only one I can recall seeing use a slow pitch bat (easton salvo). In the past you would see a sp bat on almost every team.
I noticed the choking up also which is a good tie in to this topic...I used to be against it but DD's last 2 home runs where while choking up with 2 strikes. How much does going with a longer bat help with plate coverage? DD's coach says very little.
With Merritt, it looked like her bat was a 34" a month or so ago, but watching last night it looked shorter but I can't really tell.

Oct 10, 2011
I have been searching for this information too. All over the internet. Struck out....

I just needed to buy DD another bat and I struggled with the 33 vs 34 question. I know DD's TB coach was strong on getting DD to use a 33 last year BUT DD was still weak just after her injury-season. I ended up getting the 34 again but I can just hear DD's TB coach we will be seeing all the time now that HS ended saying "crud,...ya should have got a 33......"
How tall is she? I'm curious even though I'm hearing recently that height isn't the best way to tell which length...weight/strength is.

Dec 7, 2011
How tall is she? I'm curious even though I'm hearing recently that height isn't the best way to tell which length...weight/strength is.

DD is just over 5'11" and 160. Athletic. But she is more of a "read the pitch and go with it" (contact) hitter more than she is a power swing hitter (even though I have never seen a softball hit as far as she has in her TB career - but not often cuz she gets pitched outside sooo often)

I think our TB coach see's DD driving those outside pitches to oppo and automatically thinks she is swinging late and then concludes smaller bat..... But the end of last year using a borrowed 33 White-out she was on fire with it.....

Oct 10, 2011
DD is just over 5'11" and 160. Athletic. But she is more of a "read the pitch and go with it" (contact) hitter more than she is a power swing hitter (even though I have never seen a softball hit as far as she has in her TB career - but not often cuz she gets pitched outside sooo often)

I think our TB coach see's DD driving those outside pitches to oppo and automatically thinks she is swinging late and then concludes smaller bat..... But the end of last year using a borrowed 33 White-out she was on fire with it.....
Driving outside pitches oppo? What is she thinking!
DD is 5'6" and using a 34" balanced bat. Did you get her a white-out?

Dec 7, 2011
Driving outside pitches oppo? What is she thinking!
DD is 5'6" and using a 34" balanced bat. Did you get her a white-out?

Ya what is she thinking...... ;)

Ya know even after watching too much college world series I must say that the world series girls had a BUNCH of casters that just can't/won't go oppo. (Baily Castro FL for one - I would have shifted my whole defense around to the left side! - but of course she is strong enough to "cast" a homerun.....)

5'6" and a 34.....!?!?!?!. Playing TB-A??? I just have not seen too many that can withstand the mid-60 pitchers with the 34 inchers.....

No I counted that end of last season as a fluke since she was out injured April right up to August and just got back into the game and without any expectations started to spray the ball all over the outfield with that whiteout. I looked online for whiteout reviews and soooo many said the bat had no pop so I flushed the thought.

Oct 10, 2011
Ya what is she thinking...... ;)

Ya know even after watching too much college world series I must say that the world series girls had a BUNCH of casters that just can't/won't go oppo. (Baily Castro FL for one - I would have shifted my whole defense around to the left side! - but of course she is strong enough to "cast" a homerun.....)

5'6" and a 34.....!?!?!?!. Playing TB-A??? I just have not seen too many that can withstand the mid-60 pitchers with the 34 inchers.....

No I counted that end of last season as a fluke since she was out injured April right up to August and just got back into the game and without any expectations started to spray the ball all over the outfield with that whiteout. I looked online for whiteout reviews and soooo many said the bat had no pop so I flushed the thought.

My DD loves the faster pitchers but she loathes a good rise ball pitcher. She's 5'6" but has a lot of meat on the bone:) Her 34" is 2 ounces lighter than the 33" SRV5B she had been using and about .8 ounce lighter than her more recent FX1 33" and way more balanced.

Oct 10, 2011
My little girl uses a 34" -10:

rp_primary_Butler_All_American.jpg

Miken's run a little heavy...our's always ran half ounce over.
Cannonball, how tall is your DD?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes