Personal Observation of D3 Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Yep I know it me too. I have so many loans from graduate school despite having a full academic ride to college I will probably be paying them in retirement. Trying really hard to start my kiddo on a better path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. Believe me, I get the money aspect of it all. DH had student loans coming out of college that were still being paid off after we got married and I had them after grad school, plus a mortgage and car payments.😉 Still have the mortgage and car payments.

My dd attends a school that does not offer merit money. We have chosen to help her and ds as much as we are able. Some loans will be needed to help offset what we are unable to provide to cover full tuition (still need to be able to fund our retirement). It is a choice that we all agreed upon.

ETA: I do totally understand wanting your dd to be entirely debt-free though upon graduation. It helps get them off to a great start in life.

Some merit money isn’t necessarily based upon grades or test scores either. It can be based on major, extracurriculars, or what a donor specified it for. There can be merit money for athletes as well that are not considered athletic scholarships. Just trying to help if a D3 school might be on the table.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
The majority of D3’s have fewer academic resources than a P5 school so if academics were the driving force it would make more sense for these kids to choose D1.
You mean where the students are taught by other students?

May 27, 2013
You mean where the students are taught by other students?

Not sure if you’re referring to the D1 or D3 schools here but my DD’s courses are taught by PhDs who regularly have students (undergrads) do research with them in the field over summer break. Not something typically available to undergrads at institutions that have Master’s and Doctoral programs (typically large D1 universities). Having a school where this is pretty much guaranteed is what helped my dd make her choice.

Also the ability for the athletes to travel abroad in their off-semester to enhance their studies is not something that would typically be allowed if on athletic scholarship for a D1 program. Maybe I was misinformed about that when we visited D1 schools.

May 27, 2013
In my area this isn't true. Most Engineering programs, for big or small schools, have various programs where UGs can do research both during the school year (for credit sometimes) and in the summer (often paid). It is actually a good way to keep your best students in the program for graduate school. Not sure about other fields (I know Physics departments do this as well..)

Just to correct the above - it was me who posted that, not Clarity.

Do you know if the athletes on scholarship participate? I just wonder if they’d have enough time to do so with their rigorous athletic schedule.

Jun 8, 2016
Just to correct the above - it was me who posted that, not Clarity.

Do you know if the athletes on scholarship participate? I just wonder if they’d have enough time to do so with their rigorous athletic schedule.
Yeah not sure why it posted as coming from clarity. I will fix it. In terms of whether athletes participate? Not sure. Probably not during the school year but in the summer I am sure they could. I have never had an athlete do it with me but athletes in Engineering are rare in general, regardless of whether it is at a P5 school or D3.

Jun 20, 2015
It’s all about play time for some kids. Some of the kids are basically at college to play ball. Why? I don’t know. If you have a D1 player that will sit the bench. Would you rather see sweet girl be the stud on D3?
I bet a good D3 team could beat a crappy D1.
I heard a local travel team 16u beat up on a local naia. I’d not been happy if my girl was in college getting beat up on by good kid travel teams. =embarrassed to me
my 18u teams have beaten, or close contests to multiple D3, NAIA and Juco programs over the years. We actually go and play the college teams in the fall season for the coaches to see our players and get them on the recruiting radar. What better way to show what you have, but by showing out against the college team??

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
my 18u teams have beaten, or close contests to multiple D3, NAIA and Juco programs over the years.
Well of course it happens. Some 18U (ours did) often have college players on the roster. Also, they often have been playing together and with the 18U coach longer than the more recently formed college squad. And then sometimes they are just loaded with talent.

Jun 20, 2015
Well of course it happens. Some 18U (ours did) often have college players on the roster. Also, they often have been playing together and with the 18U coach longer than the more recently formed college squad. And then sometimes they are just loaded with talent.
playing in the fall, my college players are away at college. all HS seniors and lower. example, we played CC last Sept. lost first game 1-0 in 8 innings, and won the 2nd game, a bunch to 3or 4. Coach had a long list of our players he wanted to talk with and follow in the upcoming seasons.

In all honesty, we are blessed with a bunch of very talented girls on my 2 18u squads.

Nov 18, 2013
Not sure if you’re referring to the D1 or D3 schools here but my DD’s courses are taught by PhDs who regularly have students (undergrads) do research with them in the field over summer break. Not something typically available to undergrads at institutions that have Master’s and Doctoral programs (typically large D1 universities). Having a school where this is pretty much guaranteed is what helped my dd make her choice.

Also the ability for the athletes to travel abroad in their off-semester to enhance their studies is not something that would typically be allowed if on athletic scholarship for a D1 program. Maybe I was misinformed about that when we visited D1 schools.

That’s pretty cool your DD is able to study abroad. That’s definitely something not commonly available to scholarship athletes. During DD’s recruiting journey we visited schools at all divisions and none had that option for softball players.

Jun 11, 2012
That’s pretty cool your DD is able to study abroad. That’s definitely something not commonly available to scholarship athletes. During DD’s recruiting journey we visited schools at all divisions and none had that option for softball players.
DD plays for a D3 that lets athletes go abroad during their off season so softball/baseball go in the fall and soccer/volleyball go in the spring.
DD didn’t go because she applied to grad school early and couldn’t make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478