Personal Observation of D3 Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
So after watching a week’s worth of D3 SB in Florida I’ve got to say - it is no joke! The size of some of the girls on the teams made me wonder if we mistakenly were playing D1 teams! Everyone can hit - and I mean HIT! For those who feel slapping is going by the wayside, I assure you it is not at this level. I saw several games where the slappers and small ball were the difference makers.

The thing that I noticed most about the pitching at this level was that pitchers with the best spins/movement and offspeed were the ones who were most successful. My best guess is I saw a velocity range of mid-50s to low 60’s and if the ball didn’t move it got crushed.

Such a great experience and nothing can quite compare to seeing your dd step on the field for the first time in college! Also, if you think D3 is low-level ball then you have not seen good D3 teams play! So exciting to watch!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes indeed! DD's former travel ball pitchers pitch for Texas Lutheran (NFCA pitcher of the week)and East Texas Baptist and they played on a high level Gold team that competed against the best in teams in the country. Many of these players can play at the D1 level. DD's current teammate played in the SEC for two years. And yes, some teams seem to have a body type that they recruit. Some are big and strong and others are smaller and scrappy. And yes if the ball is left over the plate it will leave the park pretty quick or at least a double in the gap. DD's team was one strike away from winning a game last week to a top 25 team, but the pitcher left it fat.

I would say the top 50 teams are good. The top 10 teams are great and are usually well coached which makes a huge difference.

Something I took notice of while watching DD's former teammate playing for D1 school in the NE. The field complex is far inferior to any HS in our area. There are some impressive facilities in DD's D3 conference that would rival many D1 facilities.

ETBU-https://goetbutigers.com/sports/2018/12/13/virtual-tour-taylor-field.aspx
Check out their fieldhouse and locker room-https://goetbutigers.com/sports/2018/11/29/virtual-tour-softball-clubhouse.aspx
UHMB-https://cruathletics.com/galleries/softball/dee-dillon-field-2012/image-23/187/10563
https://cruathletics.com/galleries/...and-softball-hitting-facil/image-11/223/11868
Concordia in Austin-This is baseball's facility which is gives you a little idea of what the softball field looks like. https://athletics.concordia.edu/galleries/baseball/baseball-facilities/163

Dec 15, 2021
I see quite a few of these upper level D3 girls passing on the chance to play at the D1 or D2 level because of the amount of travel D1's do, wanting to play immediately (start) as a freshman, play closer to home, etc. In Wisconsin, there are only two D1 softball teams in the state and only 1 D2 team. The rest are D3.....but, the D3 level with certain teams/conferences are just as good as the D2 teams in the nearby states.

I've seen stellar HS players go to D1 programs and not see the field for the first few years of their career and end up quitting or transferring.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So after watching a week’s worth of D3 SB in Florida I’ve got to say - it is no joke! The size of some of the girls on the teams made me wonder if we mistakenly were playing D1 teams! Everyone can hit - and I mean HIT! For those who feel slapping is going by the wayside, I assure you it is not at this level. I saw several games where the slappers and small ball were the difference makers.

The thing that I noticed most about the pitching at this level was that pitchers with the best spins/movement and offspeed were the ones who were most successful. My best guess is I saw a velocity range of mid-50s to low 60’s and if the ball didn’t move it got crushed.

Such a great experience and nothing can quite compare to seeing your dd step on the field for the first time in college! Also, if you think D3 is low-level ball then you have not seen good D3 teams play! So exciting to watch!

Absolutely - the level of play in Florida was outstanding this year. And yeah, having 22 & 23 year olds on many teams is a big difference to the 18 year old freshman.

I will say that at events such as The Spring Games you in general get schools that are taking softball seriously because it is not a cheap undertaking. The teams that you will beat 20-0 are not bringing their teams to these events.

We played 2 or 3 ranked teams. I umpired a bunch of games - some really impressive players out there.

May 27, 2013
I see quite a few of these upper level D3 girls passing on the chance to play at the D1 or D2 level because of the amount of travel D1's do, wanting to play immediately (start) as a freshman, play closer to home, etc. In Wisconsin, there are only two D1 softball teams in the state and only 1 D2 team. The rest are D3.....but, the D3 level with certain teams/conferences are just as good as the D2 teams in the nearby states.

I've seen stellar HS players go to D1 programs and not see the field for the first few years of their career and end up quitting or transferring.

Yes! We played a few Wisconsin teams and they had very good players!

Apr 13, 2015
I agree with Vertigo...plenty of quality players at D3 level and really even in NAIA, with the top 20 teams are very solid....softball has grown so much the last 10 years and the coaching , along with talent level gets better and better

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD was being recruited by a D3 school in Oregon, and was part of a small group of recruits invited to practice with the team, which included a scrimmage. The first thing that was apparent was that every girl was a serious ballplayer with skills that come from playing the sport for a long time. I was impressed, and thought it would be a great place for my DD to continue her playing career.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD was being recruited by a D3 school in Oregon, and was part of a small group of recruits invited to practice with the team, which included a scrimmage. The first thing that was apparent was that every girl was a serious ballplayer with skills that come from playing the sport for a long time. I was impressed, and thought it would be a great place for my DD to continue her playing career.
Northwest Conference? Pretty salty teams in that conference. George Fox has had some absolute bombers on their teams lately. They already have 39 Hr's as a team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802