Legs before arms

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I've been watching lots of video and while we all know the legs need to lead the arms, the emphasis is on firing the legs quick so the arms are following, I get that and it makes sense. ive been trying to use my arms to drive my body forward but when I do that my arm circle slows down quite a bit. I hope I'm explaining this so it makes sense, I'm not trying to slow my arms down but when I focus on using my arms to get me out that's what happens, and it does seem to help my timing, but it also feels slow, but When I look at pitchers with great drive it does look like the arms are moving pretty slow in the beginning of the pitch then on the downswing or toe touch they really speed up. I know this is not something new, I've just never felt it before in my own pitching and I'm starting to feel the difference now of using my arms to get me out not just making an arm circle:)

Aug 18, 2013
If your using your arms to get out then your doing the push from the top down instead of the bottom up. Allow the body to pull the arms through. Your trying to build up moment with all of the large muscles like your legs and core. Your arms should be relaxed. As Java puts it, you should feel rushed. In your case your arms are waiting for the body to catch up, which means slower arm circle.

If your doing some of the 2 step drills or pushbacks, delay the arms as LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG as possible. If you dont feel rushed delay it even longer.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
MothGirl,

One thing to note.... when watching video of others, that is... is to notice how the legs initiate the upswing. Note how the push against the plate... creates the top of the backswing. Timing is everything. The force we apply against the plate needs to happen BEFORE we reach the top of our backswing... so that the resultant momentum of our body pulls our arm out of 'reverse'... and puts it in 'drive'. Perhaps this is what you are describing... and if not, perhaps this perspective will help you complete the thought process. Best, ~JS

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I had a much longer response but it boils down to, I'm really struggling with delaying the backswing. When I do feel like I get it, it feels like it's to short or too rushed? I know Java has said it should feel rushed but even tho I know this, it still feels wrong so my body doesn't like to repeat it.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
When I say it should feel rushed... that applies to those that struggle with frontside timing... and are trying out the pushbacks. Not all do. Good timing will eventually feel right.... it's just a matter of getting the body moving forward before the arms move backward.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My son took the video, Please, pick it apart you won't offend or hurt my feelings, I never played any ball sports when I was younger so I know I'm not very good. I just want to be able to feel and demo what I'm asking my students to do (plus it's really fun) thank u for the feedback

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2013
I think the problem is that your worrying about the arm to much. Couple of suggestions. Dont let your heals sink and dont step forward with the drive foot. It also looks like your sitting instead of leaning forward. And this one is just my opinion, but dont allow your upper arm to stop. Your not allowing it to fully rotate.

Work on BI at your next lesson :)

I do the exact same things as you do. I tell my DD that if I cant do it how can I expect her to do it when she does drills.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole