Leg Weights?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
No way I would advocate that, pitching is a high impact sport. This could result in injury.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I don't think that is going to add any speed. Do general exercises, swimming biking, running - to build core muscles. Growing up, I had such growing pains, from wearing metal cleats and roller skating, that I can't image if I had added leg weights.

Ok I thought it wasn't a good idea either when someone told me that. They said their pitching coach told them to do this for 30 minutes everyday. I guess you get what you get in Backwoods, Mississippi!!

I just needed someone to validate that this could really injure your kid. I was thinking it could put alot of strain on the back as well.

I think for a 12 yo the speed will come with time and there is no sense in trying to push them to the limit now when her little body will be worn out by HS! JMHO!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Pitching is a high impact position? Only iif your mechanics make it that way.

I would use a 1-pound ankle weight with some students now and then, but only on the stride foot. If I felt their stride was not as quick as it should be, out came the ankle weight. AQbout 20 pitches like that and it came off. Then, the stride weighed next to nothing, or at least it felt like that to them. Stride was a little fastert and a little longer.

My students were ALL taught to keep the stride foot low to the ground and they had veryu smooth and soft landings.

Additional; With a few of the very young or 'Skinny' young ones I had to pay close attention to the first 3 or 4 pitches like that. If the weighty caused the stride foot to come down with a 'slap' or 'thud', come down hard where it did not before, off came the weight. Some just did not have the leg strength even for a 1-pound ankle weight.

Should have added that originally, sorry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse