Lefty Catchers Mitt for small 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2015
So the batter is at the back of the box. The catcher moves back giving sufficient clearance. Where's the problem? Where is a batter moving to the back of the box a hinderance to the catcher? You never answered that.

The time it takes for the lefty catcher to get around the batter will make it more difficult (obviously not impossible) than a righty catcher with similar arm strength to make the out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The time it takes for the lefty catcher to get around the batter will make it more difficult (obviously not impossible) than a righty catcher with similar arm strength to make the out.

Maybe...but it's still not a deal-breaker for having a LH catcher. As they go up in age/level, there is more balance of RH and LH batters, and the catcher must learn how to be effective no matter which one is standing in the box.

Dec 19, 2012

That's just it. A lefty catcher does not have to get around the batter. The batter is not in the way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's just it. A lefty catcher does not have to get around the batter. The batter is not in the way.

Looking at the video you posted previously, I can see how the pivot creates a clear throwing lane for a LH catcher behind a RH batter. The batter would have to be going pretty far backwards to get in the way.

Dec 19, 2012
Looking at the video you posted previously, I can see how the pivot creates a clear throwing lane for a LH catcher behind a RH batter. The batter would have to be going pretty far backwards to get in the way.

They would have to be out of the batters box to get in the way.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I think a good catcher will notice that a batter is all of a sudden on the back line of the box. She will adjust her body and pitch selection and throw your runner out by 10 feet. It's not like baseball where the runner has an advantage at second (compared to first) where they aren't being held close. In our sport the runner at any base is held on by rule the catcher has a shorter throw with no advantage to the runner. Not to mention a catchers box that is the full width of both batters boxes. The runner stealing third has a greater disadvantage then The lefty catcher.

Aug 16, 2015
I think a good catcher will notice that a batter is all of a sudden on the back line of the box. She will adjust her body and pitch selection and throw your runner out by 10 feet. It's not like baseball where the runner has an advantage at second (compared to first) where they aren't being held close. In our sport the runner at any base is held on by rule the catcher has a shorter throw with no advantage to the runner. Not to mention a catchers box that is the full width of both batters boxes. The runner stealing third has a greater disadvantage then The lefty catcher.

So you feel similar arms, similar everything except one is lefty one is righty that the players are identical at C? That's where we disagree.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So you feel similar arms, similar everything except one is lefty one is righty that the players are identical at C? That's where we disagree.

Especially since throwing out runners is (IMO) not as important as good receiving and good blocking, neither of which are affected by the hand they throw with, I'm not going to rule out a LH catcher just because they are LH, and might be fractions of a second slower on a throw to 3B.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
No I don't think they are identical, I just don't see the runner having an advantage, which is the only place its really relevant. I do know that the left catcher has a huge advantage over the RH catcher on bunt plays. But you don't see anyone discouraging RH kids from catching over it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles