Lefty Catchers Mitt for small 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2015
No I don't think they are identical, I just don't see the runner having an advantage, which is the only place its really relevant. I do know that the left catcher has a huge advantage over the RH catcher on bunt plays. But you don't see anyone discouraging RH kids from catching over it.

Runner has the advantage because all other things being equal, it will take the catcher longer to release the ball (by a small fraction of a second) being lefty.... That could be the difference between safe and out.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Runner has the advantage because all other things being equal, it will take the catcher longer to release the ball (by a small fraction of a second) being lefty.... That could be the difference between safe and out.
I'm done, you're right and all the college coaches (Carol Hutchins should just quit now) and the National team coaches are wrong, those lefty catchers who have had great success are a figment of my imagination and should be converted to 1st base where leftys belong.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Fractions of a second differences happen all over the field. If a LH catcher has a stronger arm and/or a faster transfer, her pop time to 3B may be the same or better than a RH catcher. Assuming the LH catcher is a fraction of a second slower to 3B, will you offer her any credit for being quicker to 1B? Close plays happen at 1B all the time.

The point...It's a mistake to discount a catcher only because she is a lefty. There are SO many skills that a good catcher needs to have to be effective. Pick the one that gets the OVERALL job done best, with everything evaluated in its proper priority.

Aug 16, 2015
Fractions of a second differences happen all over the field. If a LH catcher has a stronger arm and/or a faster transfer, her pop time to 3B may be the same or better than a RH catcher. Assuming the LH catcher is a fraction of a second slower to 3B, will you offer her any credit for being quicker to 1B? Close plays happen at 1B all the time.

The point...It's a mistake to discount a catcher only because she is a lefty. There are SO many skills that a good catcher needs to have to be effective. Pick the one that gets the OVERALL job done best, with everything evaluated in its proper priority.

I'd always offer credit for good play. Of course, if someone throws it better and moves faster than the right handed counterpart, they can make up the difference.... That's why in all my examples I said everything being equal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00