Lefty Catchers Mitt for small 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I know it's been asked a Milllion times… But DD needs a new catchers mitt. She is a relatively small girl with small hands. (58" and 70ish lbs with long skinny fingers). I am having problems finding any LHT gloves for her to try on locally and I need some suggestions. She is a 1st yr 12U player. She catches about 1/2 the time. She has been using an old Wilson that her coach picked up cheap last year, but it is beginning to get a little floppy. I'm not sure we are ready to invest in a forever glove at this point - because I assume at some point the kid will grow. I have looked up several gloves that I've seen people talk about on here only to find that they are RHT only.

Curious about All-Star and Vinci (maybe Fortus series) or any other suggestions.
Have you considered having that floppy mitt relaced?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't doubt, at 12u, a lefty catcher, who has a really good arm, can throw people out. At this age, arm strength can overcome the step across your body.

I think my point is once they get to high school, the speed and jump of the runners will catch up. All I need to do is put my girls back in the box and watch a lefty try to throw around them.

I don't mean to discourage.... that's not the intent. Maybe she's very quick and can overcome the time it takes to turn her whole body.
There are plenty of lefty college catchers and even on Team USA. It's all in the footwork.

Aug 16, 2015
My dd is a LHT catcher and plays in college (D1). She has ZERO problems throwing to 3rd. You don't thow around the batter.....you throw behind them. Put your kids as far back in the box as you want.....it doesn't matter. Also, when a LHT catcher fields bunts they are in great position to throw to first unlike RHT catchers. LHT catchers do not have to circle around bunts to get into position to throw to 1st. They can go straight at the bunted ball. Bunting happens much more often in a game than steals to 3rd.

Here's a young LHT lady simulating a throw to 3rd. This video is from the catchingcamp channel on YouTube. I assume this is the YouTube channel of New England Catching Camp.

Look how forward the batter is in the box... Put them on the back line and it becomes much more difficult.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Look how forward the batter is in the box... Put them on the back line and it becomes much more difficult.

Regardless whether a batter is forward or back in the box or whether the catcher throws righty or left, attempting to steal third base is a low percentage play against a well-trained catcher.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Funny how it's so hard for a lefty to throw to third when all along I've been hearing what an advantage it is for a righty to snap off a throw to first. Good footwork and umps willing to call interference if the batter moves backward into the throw. That's all a catcher needs for that play at third. too many lh catchers playing high level ball (even with the bias against them at lower levels) for it to be an issue. Michigan just converted a lefty to catcher. Her first day at U of M there was catchers gear in her locker. High level coaches know it's a non issue. You should have seen the faces when my lh dd started playing short on her 16u team when she wasn't pitching.

Aug 16, 2015
Funny how it's so hard for a lefty to throw to third when all along I've been hearing what an advantage it is for a righty to snap off a throw to first. Good footwork and umps willing to call interference if the batter moves backward into the throw. That's all a catcher needs for that play at third. too many lh catchers playing high level ball (even with the bias against them at lower levels) for it to be an issue. Michigan just converted a lefty to catcher. Her first day at U of M there was catchers gear in her locker. High level coaches know it's a non issue. You should have seen the faces when my lh dd started playing short on her 16u team when she wasn't pitching.

I didn't say the batter moved back into the catcher. They start at the back line of the batter box. Nothing the ump can do then.

The snap to 1st is equally hard for a righty. There's a main difference though. A majority of batters are righty, so the lane is clear for a righty to go to 1st. Also, the snap to first, while a valuable weapon, isn't as important as throws to third

I actually think SS is doable for a lefty. It's not a major deal to throw to 1st. It's difficult to throw to 2nd, but it's usually a flip. I don't think it's a great idea, but I don't think it's crazy.

Dec 19, 2012
I didn't say the batter moved back into the catcher. They start at the back line of the batter box.

So the batter is at the back of the box. The catcher moves back giving sufficient clearance. Where's the problem? Where is a batter moving to the back of the box a hinderance to the catcher? You never answered that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad