Lefty catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2014
What are your opinions on a left handed catcher? Don't see many around. Advantages/disadvantages?

May 31, 2012
Great on throwing to 1b. As long as she practices it shouldn't hold her back. UF has a lefty catcher. She played some fall. I'm excited to see how much she plays in the spring. The one thing that you worry about is throwing 3b with rh batter.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The catcher for my DD's HS team is a lefty and she does a great job. Being a lefty helps with quick throws down to 1B, but is a hindrance on throws to 3B. Throws to 2B are about equal.

Apr 1, 2010
Lefty catchers eat up bunts, and since bunts are a big part of softball, I'd say lefties have an advantage. IMO their biggest disadvantage is the wide-spread perception that lefties shouldn't catch.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I'd agree with MsD.... As the father of a leftie catcher, my DD fought the misconceptions and prejudices of male coaches with baseball backgrounds more than once. Left handed catchers are set to throw to first on pick offs without turning, bunt coverage without turning, and tag plays at home without turning. (Greater opportunities for double plays!) Throws to second run a slightly higher risk of interference with a right handed batter. Throws to third require an adjustment in footwork to throw around right handed batters. I always get excite when starting catching sessions with a new leftie. Most do not realize their potential! The smart coach given the opportunity to choose between equally skilled left and right handed catchers will choose the leftie.

P1360809.jpg
P1360811.jpg

Nov 29, 2009
Had a coach complain one time because my pitcher was getting too many outside strike calls on his RH batters. He told the umpire it was because we had a lefty pitcher and catcher. The umpire gave him the "What are you smoking?" look and went back umpiring the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32