Lefty catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Fielding with a throw to 1B favors the lefty catcher - she doesn't have to move around the ball in order to get lined up for the throw.

Yes, exactly, a lefty catcher just eats up bunts on the first base side. She doesn't have to make that banana curved path to the ball that will get her feet set correctly or slide step into the field to create a throwing lane around the runner.

JQ, if you're not seeing your lefties have an advantage fielding bunts on that side, IMO they're doing something wrong.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
It really isn't debatable on throws to first, but the good news is that your and my righty catchers have the overall advantage throwing to third! Second base is a wash.

It is debatable. from behind the plate your explanation is factual. a bunt just off the first base line does not provide the lefty with an advantage. If the ball is bunted more towards the pitcher than yes lefty all day. It's all in how you see the play while trying to type and explain.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
It is debatable. from behind the plate your explanation is factual. a bunt just off the first base line does not provide the lefty with an advantage. If the ball is bunted more towards the pitcher than yes lefty all day. It's all in how you see the play while trying to type and explain.

No. Sorry, but no. No matter how you slice it, the righty has farther to travel to get into a position to throw to 1B. It doesn't matter at all where the ball is hit. Even up the 1B line, the righty will have to have a cross-over step at some point to get turned correctly, the lefty will not. This isn't opinion, it's just physical reality.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
No. Sorry, but no. No matter how you slice it, the righty has farther to travel to get into a position to throw to 1B. It doesn't matter at all where the ball is hit. Even up the 1B line, the righty will have to have a cross-over step at some point to get turned correctly, the lefty will not. This isn't opinion, it's just physical reality.

we can debate this all day. I won't say you're wrong and I'm sure I will be told I'm wrong because my opinion doesn't align with yours. But depending on where the placement of the ball is the catchers advantage switches. Closer to the line the right has a slight advantage because of throwing angle as they should be in fair territory with their feet looking up the line throwing to the inside of the bag. Runner should not be in their way. Lefty catcher in the same play "MAY" have a tougher throw to make in this situation.

The overall point I'm making is I don't think fielding wise either righty or lefty have an advantage. Now pickoff throws will favor lefty's more than righty IMO. More RH batters means pick throw to 1b is easier for the lefty. Pick throw around a RH batter to 3b is easier for righty but overall I would say that portion benefits the lefty. It's a preference thing. Without hard data I won't convince you and you won't change my mind.

As I said though. I would like one of each RH/LH catcher as I think they both have an advantage in playing that position.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Quincy,

I would be hard pressed to say it's not a push. Each play is different and adds an advantage based on RH/LH but yeah it's probably a push or leaning to LH having an advantage. I see more RH batters so LH catchers should have an advantage.

I have always thought a lefty is better suited for 1b but that's probably similar to C it really doesn't matter. I would say 2nd, SS, 3b would be odd with a LH but I would need to see it before I knocked it. I always like LH OF.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
we can debate this all day. I won't say you're wrong and I'm sure I will be told I'm wrong because my opinion doesn't align with yours. But depending on where the placement of the ball is the catchers advantage switches. Closer to the line the right has a slight advantage because of throwing angle as they should be in fair territory with their feet looking up the line throwing to the inside of the bag. Runner should not be in their way. Lefty catcher in the same play "MAY" have a tougher throw to make in this situation. ...

No on the bolded, too, LOL as the lefty catcher will always have the easier throw because their throwing arm is inside the diamond, which will always create a better throwing angle to 1B that has less potential for runner interference than will their right-handed throwing counterparts!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
No on the bolded, too, LOL as the lefty catcher will always have the easier throw because their throwing arm is inside the diamond, which will always create a better throwing angle to 1B that has less potential for runner interference than will their right-handed throwing counterparts!

I can argue that their eyes can't see their target because the feet are not in the diamond and the righty throwing to the inside of the bag has clear line of sight. It's all how you see the play. Not saying you're wrong, as I like the difference in opinion.

Dec 19, 2012
I can argue that their eyes can't see their target because the feet are not in the diamond and the righty throwing to the inside of the bag has clear line of sight. It's all how you see the play. Not saying you're wrong, as I like the difference in opinion.

There eyes CAN see the target because the target is not on top of the base.....it is further in the field of play.

Dec 19, 2012
The reason the game of baseball and softball flows the way it does is because most people are right-handed and right-handed people move more naturally in a counter-clockwise (from their perspective) motion. Their hips move counter-clockwise when they thow or swing a bat, and the bases are run in a counter-clockwise pattern. That is why the majority of infielders are right handed. It's just easier for a right hand thrower to make a play at first base, the base where most outs are made if the batter does not strike, foul, or fly out. The catcher however has a different perspective than everyone else on the field. It is opposite than everyone else, hence the easy flow for them is clockwise. For a right hand throwing catcher to make a play in fair territory to first base, they must make a clockwise move, run around to the side of the ball, or spin counter-clockwise over 180 degrees to make a play to first. A left hand throwing catcher on the other hand only need to move clockwise to make the play. Making plays at first base: Advantage left hand throwing catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1