Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm not sure how much forward velocity you could add from the stride/leap because FSR virtually stops the forward momentum. If there were no FSR and the pitcher kept moving through the landing then the forward velocity could be added to the arm speed.

But the legs contribute in other ways. Imagine a pitcher on a bar stool that rotated; she does an arm circle pitch while seated, legs off the ground. What would the radar reading be?

Jun 22, 2019
It’s how close they are to the plate. The velocity probably doesn’t change much, but if a girl throws from 3 feet in front of the rubber it gets to the batter about 7% faster.

60mph pitch would now look 64mph
65mph would now look almost 70mph

May 13, 2023
Screenshot_20240110-064119_Chrome.jpg
'legs contribute in other ways'
Somewhere in an equation could be how much dragging holds back momentum.

Being that pitchers drag differently
Some skim their drag
While others dig their drag
(obviously some don't drag at all)
Stopping dragging could relate to more momentum and then
utilize front side resistance.

In basic, No dragging could be
Creating energy with easier movement.

Because pitchers throw at different speeds
even if there is a 1, 2, 5 mile an hour difference. Or an amount of inches landing closer to the plate.
For the batter
Timing is Timing
Leaping or no leaping becomes irrelevant.

imo what people are going to see is that when you give pitchers more freedom there will be more pitchers who can be productive.
* more productive pitchers will be a good thing!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
From Mr. P.

You ever try running at 10+ on the treadmill? That's pretty fast, right? You think pitchers move forward faster than that? I'm guessing no. Speed of the ball out of hand is that speed plus the rotational component...

Sequencing of the forward move with the upper half matters of course and a stride might improve stretch and hence rotational velocity of the arm but it won't be that much. When a kid does a walk through do they usually move at a similar speed as they would normally? Maybe 1 mph faster? If they gain more than that on a walk through then the rest is due to improved sequencing and hence resistance. So the difference is due to a) faster forward speed and b) better sequencing/resistance improving arm speed.

Again pitch velocity is forward movement velocity + arm velocity. Like if you were on the ground and measured the horizontal speed of a ball dropped down by a person on a moving train you would measure the train velocity. Pitchers are probably moving forward 5-7 mph at most. Add another couple mph for improved resistance and hence arm speed because of the forward motion and you get a 6-10 mph difference between pitching from K position and pitching with a stride. So, would it be 85%? It would depend on how fast the kid is throwing. If she is throwing 60 then on the lower end of the "help" from the stride ((60-6)/60)*100=90% and on the upper end ((60-10)/60)*100=83%.

The only real question is how much added resistance do you get from striding. The forward motion speed is probably capped at around 7 mph..I cannot see anybody moving forward faster than that. And to Bill's question of why, I think the point was to determine the impact of leaping outside of just being closer. That said I doubt allowing it is going to improve forward velocity much and/or resistance (and hence arm circle speed).

And last but not least... I think people just see math and skip the post.

I miss P’s posts very much. I always read them and felt like I learned something when he’d use math and physics to explain things.

Jan 6, 2018
Number 8’s numbers jump way up compared to everyone else with the light ball. Be fascinating to try and figure out why. Numbers like this can be fun to play with and can help identify things when numbers stick out. Makes you wonder if she could pick up some velocity soon with a normal ball if she makes an adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - #8 is smaller, but athletic and learning whip. She's a HE convert who struggles to maintain bend in her arm at full motion.

Jan 6, 2018
Interesting, that # 7 and # 8 have the biggest change between K and lite.

Just for kicks, I subtracted the K and Lite to find the difference.

1. 21%
2. 16.7%
3. 18.4%
4. 17%
5. 20%
6. 21.7%
7. 26.7%
8. 33.3%
9. 20.8%
10. 17%
11. 17.4%

Is 7 and 8 similar in body type?
When looking at the lite numbers I always wonder if that is a good indicator for Arm Whip. Or is possible it to tell if muscles themselves are the limiting factor? if a big change = muscles are the limiting factor
Just guessing no facts
7 is taller and very thin, and 8 is smaller and very athletic. For all of them some have better mechanics with the lite ball, but for some it's strength. I use it as the carrot, as in here's what you can do if you were stronger. For some though there's obvious mechanical flaws that go away with the lite ball and as soon as the regular ball gets in their hand they lose it.

We do a lot of weighted ball progressions...especially with a baby walk in so we can focus on whip. As the balls get heavier they try to match the speed/whip to help build the muscle memory.

May 18, 2019
I'm not sure how much forward velocity you could add from the stride/leap because FSR virtually stops the forward momentum. If there were no FSR and the pitcher kept moving through the landing then the forward velocity could be added to the arm speed.

But the legs contribute in other ways. Imagine a pitcher on a bar stool that rotated; she does an arm circle pitch while seated, legs off the ground. What would the radar reading be?
I think you are capturing this factor elsewhere and I'm reading a clip but an aggressive push off creates momentum. FSR stops that momentum in the legs and shoulder but it continues in the arm to create whip against that pivot point. I think then that it is a multiplier on arm speed in the end.

May 18, 2019
One other observation. My younger daughter recently went from a severe drag with foot down all the way to the heel to a barely toe drag. We've seen no increase in velocity so far as a result but I do think she's getting out further which is effective speed. I think ultimately she will gain speed as the other mechanics get back in line but I've been surprised that it wasn't immediate.

May 13, 2023
One other observation. My younger daughter recently went from a severe drag with foot down all the way to the heel to a barely toe drag. We've seen no increase in velocity so far as a result but I do think she's getting out further which is effective speed. I think ultimately she will gain speed as the other mechanics get back in line but I've been surprised that it wasn't immediate.
How long has it been now making that transition?

'ultimately she will gain speed as other mechanics get back in line' ✔️

Not immediate because it is a change in momentum, including some balance adjustment during that also.

May 18, 2019
How long has it been now making that transition?

'ultimately she will gain speed as other mechanics get back in line' ✔️

Not immediate because it is a change in momentum, including some balance adjustment during that also.
In process for 6 months. Effective and consistent for 1 to 2.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06