A Pawn in Game of Life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Most of the time it is the parents that need to hear this, not the kids. If the parents are grounded typically the kid will be too....Behind every "look at me I am great" kid on Twitter there is usually a parent who thinks their kid is the next Jocelyn Alo. Unfortunately just exposing those parents to better players is not enough because they typically cannot tell the difference. Actually I don't know if anything can impact delusional other than an outcome which is below what they are expecting in which case they will probably just assume their kid got screwed..by everybody.
Totally agree, but I'm constantly told I'm to negative. My response is, "No, I deal in reality." That never works...lol.
I probably am too negative, but I'm rarely disappointed.

Jun 8, 2016
Totally agree, but I'm constantly told I'm to negative. My response is, "No, I deal in reality." That never works...lol.
I probably am too negative, but I'm rarely disappointed.
It's a fine line for sure.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD’s HS coach requested a meeting with me a few days ago. She’s a 16U RHP, decent player. She’s on varsity, but has been playing almost exclusively with JV.

He informed me that DD’s travel ball team is not competitive enough, and that he has secured her a spot on his preferred travel team. She will not see time on varsity if she stays with her current team.

The thing is, there is some long-standing animosity between HS coach and TB coach, I can’t shake the feeling that HS coach is trying to blow up TB coach’s team. That would leave a number of DD’s HS teammates scrambling to find new teams. Damned if she stays, damned if she leaves.

I have been looking forward to HS ball since DD started playing with her core group since she was eight. I could not have imagined it would be this ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are in a tough spot. I don't have good advice for you. We had some players playing for a program/coach who we did not respect. In fact, this coaching staff was aligned with other area schools and we knew our girls would be short-changed if they continued to play in that program and advance to this coach's team. We did sit down with these parents and mentioned our concerns. Long story short, they continued and we turned out to be right.

Jun 11, 2013
HS is the only time you are stuck playing for a certain coach. In every other level you can just leave and play for someone else. Assuming she doesn't want to change TB teams you have 3 options. 1. Don't play Hs, 2. Play and assume she won't get any time. 3. Try and fight it out with school AD. If you DD is OK with 2 that's likely the best option but I feel bad for her.

Jul 14, 2018
2. Play and assume she won't get any time... If you DD is OK with 2 that's likely the best option but I feel bad for her.

It’s been a week, DD has given it some thought, and your option #2 is pretty much where she’s settled.

Thanks @Cannonball, your opinion was one I was most looking forward to.

Jul 14, 2018
Nobody loves drama more than HS girls, coaches, and parents. Sorry...kinda, but not really. LOVE Blazing Saddles!!!

In the immortal words of Lili von Shtupp: It’s Twooo! It’s Twooo!!

d0f57126695f89ae3481d8c683c01507.jpg

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Lord knows there’s no truer statement than this!! Now just add an idiot AD into the mix! That’s Athletic Director for some of you boneheads…..not me! ;)
I sense a reality show in the making....Teams swap a pitcher AND their crazy coach/parent with another team. Let the posturing, jealousy, shrieking, conniving, backstabbing, and delusions begin.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It’s been a week, DD has given it some thought, and your option #2 is pretty much where she’s settled.

Thanks @Cannonball, your opinion was one I was most looking forward to.

Thanks for the compliment. In a lot of ways, I think we/I crossed the line. Summer or TB is a different animal. While we knew in our case what was going to happen, we could have been wrong. Just as I don't like TB coaches interfearing with HS ball, I think that is good advice for HS coaches. Parents know the situation so much better and so many other factors are there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12