A Pawn in Game of Life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think the value for the pitchers is learning their riseball that fools 95% of untrained batters suddenly doesn't fool 80% of the best hitters. Being in a small town area, I see lots of "big fish in a small pond." Their eyes are opened when they go to college, where there's nothing but big and bigger fish.
Yup, there's always a bigger fish.

Jun 8, 2016
THE most politically correct movie ever released, you'll love it!
TBH, I don't like comedies.

I don't watch a lot of movies in general. I used to go to movies once in a while when I didn't spend every f'ing dollar on the offspring.

Jul 14, 2018
"None of them will help her one iota as a pitcher."
There is more to coaching a pitchers than just mechanics. There is encouragement, building confidence, focusing, and pitch calling.

That’s fair, I was being harsh. There’s a short detour on another thread about the value of baseball guys calling pitches. I do think that the underlying strategies of setting batters up and keeping them off balance applies to both sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
I think the value for the pitchers is learning their riseball that fools 95% of untrained batters suddenly doesn't fool 80% of the best hitters. Being in a small town area, I see lots of "big fish in a small pond." Their eyes are opened when they go to college, where there's nothing but big and bigger fish.
I agree. You do need to see what is out there. I just do not think you need a lot of it to get better.
I will say pitching lessons pushes DD, lots of good pitching.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Their eyes are opened when they go to college, where there's nothing but big and bigger fish.
There's always some kid who is bigger, faster, stronger, and just better. You just haven't met them yet....until college!

Think about this, every girl inside of a college dugout was a stud in one way or another on the previous roster from wherever they just came from, so yeah college talent will definitely open their eyes!

Jun 8, 2016
There's always some kid who is bigger, faster, stronger, and just better. You just haven't met them yet....until college!
Most of the time it is the parents that need to hear this, not the kids. If the parents are grounded typically the kid will be too....Behind every "look at me I am great" kid on Twitter there is usually a parent who thinks their kid is the next Jocelyn Alo. Unfortunately just exposing those parents to better players is not enough because they typically cannot tell the difference. Actually I don't know if anything can impact delusional other than an outcome which is below what they are expecting in which case they will probably just assume their kid got screwed..by everybody.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Most of the time it is the parents that need to hear this, not the kids. If the parents are grounded typically the kid will be too....Behind every "look at me I am great" kid on Twitter there is usually a parent who thinks their kid is the next Jocelyn Alo. Unfortunately just exposing those parents to better players is not enough because they typically cannot tell the difference. Actually I don't know if anything can impact delusional other than an outcome which is below what they are expecting in which case they will probably just assume their kid got screwed..by everybody.
VERY WELL SAID!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45