Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
From her pitchers perspective...
Does she have any feedback about the adjustment she's made?
Generally she likes it. Removes one variable from the delivery. It does mean she needs different arm timing so that's taken work to get back in line. Much less stress on the knee which is good. Along with that she's been messing with hips not closing and arm path so she doesn't hit her forearm on her screwball so a lot going on simultaneously. I think she sees it like any change...the immediate degradation of performance is frustrating but she's seen the long term benefits of continually working improvements so willing to stay the course. Certainly a couple days early on where she needed to stop and pick it back up the next day. She's pleased with where she's at now and we've been able to get her back onto form before some major camps and one tournament this weekend in Vegas.

Apr 28, 2021
I think that is 100% legal, the replant/2nd push drives hip rotation but does not push the pitcher forward resulting in the pitcher being further away from the pitchers plate. Forward motion is stopped by the plant foot.

Seems pretty clear to me, this pitcher is replanting but it is not resulting in pushing her further away from the pitching plate. It is resulting in hip rotation.

Edit: I think you could argue she needs to get her front foot down earlier to make it legal(land before replant) but man thats going to be tough to detect real time.

I fear the call will be wildly inconsistent though.

Last edited:

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
This video may (or may not??) help better understand body velocity contribution to pitch velocity.

Enjoy!

Apr 28, 2021
This video may (or may not??) help better understand body velocity contribution to pitch velocity.

Enjoy!

I think its being underestimated how much 15% is, that is almost the difference between my 5'1" 100lb daughter who does pretty good but not great at at local 14u and Jordy Bahl

Jan 22, 2011
From Umpire school this weekend:
USA Softballl is working on a video and play clarification about leaping and replanting/crowhoping. I could be off, but the general gist is:

a) Gymstep/pivot foot off the pitching plate before starting the pitch is illegal and should be called.
b) If during a leap the pivot foot lands before the arm is past the ear, there is a good chance it is illegal.
c) There was some talk about what to watch for on the foot action of the pivot foot to see if it’s an additional push, but I didn’t get all the details.

Jun 22, 2008
Well I certainly hope they don't come up with something different than what nfhs has already put out. I don't recall the nfhs video saying anything about the arm, it was all the feet .

Aug 21, 2008
Well I certainly hope they don't come up with something different than what nfhs has already put out. I don't recall the nfhs video saying anything about the arm, it was all the feet .
Comp, of course they will. As frustrating as it is to deal with all the alphabet soups out there: USSSA, PGF, USA, etc. etc. absolutely none of them care one bit about the other's rules (which is why there isn't a unified pitching rule among them!!!). But it's a toss up as to what those organizations care less about: each other's rules or the high school rules.

May 27, 2013
From Umpire school this weekend:
USA Softballl is working on a video and play clarification about leaping and replanting/crowhoping. I could be off, but the general gist is:

a) Gymstep/pivot foot off the pitching plate before starting the pitch is illegal and should be called.
b) If during a leap the pivot foot lands before the arm is past the ear, there is a good chance it is illegal.
c) There was some talk about what to watch for on the foot action of the pivot foot to see if it’s an additional push, but I didn’t get all the details.

So going by the above guidance, the video in the OP would demonstrate an IP as described in “b.” However, without being able to see it in slow-mo, I can’t see how an umpire will be able to see it in real-time on the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan