Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Money would be the number one reason I would be teaching (If I was the teacher) this method. The number of people that are qualified (whatever that means in fastpitch) to teach this way is very limited. Truely Japan / International players must have the most relevant pitchers to this set of rules. If they are doing some form of leaping, I would bet they have studied the mechanics to understand its potential benefits.
I believe he's a former men's fastpitch pitcher, so this is normal for him.

Jul 31, 2019
The ones without the pitching mat are a crow hop, then a leap with a re-plant gaining an advantage. Illegal is my vote.

Sep 1, 2021
Also, another slight consideration might be base running. Base runners not starting until the ball leaves the pitchers hand there most likely will be slight difference between leapers and non-leapers. Leapers have a slower arm circle at the start of the pitch until the ball is at 12o'clock compared to non-leapers.
It's the crow hop that causes the two part pitch. There is a pause in the arm circle until the second push You shouldn't see that with the leap.

If anyone watched the junior or senior league softball world series, the Czech team pitchers were all crow hopping. They were really bad at it, but crow hopping nonetheless. I'm hoping it wasn't called because the team wasn't very competitive, but if it's a sign of things to come, this board is going to be fire.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Would be interesting to have someone with pressure/force plates measure if this style is actually putting more pressure on the lead leg (glove side leg) compared to non-leaping pitchers.
From looking at the men I always had the feeling that crow hopping actually dissipated the force you get at landing (on the front leg) by redistributing it or redirecting it forward.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
From looking at the men I always had the feeling that crow hopping actually dissipated the force you get at landing (on the front leg) by redistributing it or redirecting it forward.
That is my thoughts also. Men do not seem to worry about a full stop Front Side resistance they seem to still have more body motion after the pitch is released.

May 27, 2013
So once the NCAA changed the rule, I told dd over the summer to drive out as hard as she is able now and see what happens. She does have a slight leap now and it looks nothing like the pics above, and there is no way she is using her drag foot to push off again. Her lower half mechanics look completely different than above. She was a notorious ankle dragger so the leap has helped with it no longer being an anchor now. There is no way the above is just a leap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles