Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You know what, I saw that before and just totally forgot about it 😂

Must be legal..take that @lostcreek1 😂

Now I want to see him do it from a windup 😀
I just watched a video of his delivery. It looks like a replant in softball. The guy is 6'5" tall, threw 100 MPH, and lasted four years in MLB. I guess it didn't help...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Well we've had "skippys;" and now we have a whole new breed of "extreme skippys." This is the natural evolution of the skippy. I have zero faith or hope that what this guy is teaching will be called illegal. Why? Because the non-leaping version of it has never been called illegal. No reason to think things will get better on that front.

Oct 13, 2017
Well we've had "skippys;" and now we have a whole new breed of "extreme skippys." This is the natural evolution of the skippy. I have zero faith or hope that what this guy is teaching will be called illegal. Why? Because the non-leaping version of it has never been called illegal. No reason to think things will get better on that front.
I think you're right. Its illegal as heck, but the umpires won't call it in most cases. I think this guy is getting ahead of the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 25, 2021
Japan vs Mexico Girls 15u
My daughter was watching highlights, link above. Seems every pitcher in these games is pitching this style. Their replant seems much less pronounced though.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I think the confusing part in some of this is the phase "2nd push" when discussing a crow hop. As if there is a 2nd jump after the first. Nobody is doing that!!!
✔️
on a dirt field, you can clearly see the pitcher's drag line happens from the place the back foot lands. I think a better phrase would simply be, pitching from somewhere that isn't the rubber. That would include the backfoot clearly landing with the ball still in hand. It would also cover the "gym step" that this video showed, which is essentially a "crow hop" without a the jumping part. Whether someone jumps, lands, pitches or does a gym step, neither are pitching from the rubber.
✔️
Even the most egregious crow hopper pitchers I've seen do not land the back foot, then push again.
✔️

Here it is, best reference point ever for people on dfp and its readers.

What Mr B is explaining is from his trained eyes explaining what is going on. Is very different from people who do not actually know what they're looking at trying to figure it out, and comparing it to the verbiage in the rules, which is a little bit difficult to translate into physical viewing.

May 27, 2013
I have easily seen pitchers push off from a second point after they have done the little “skip” off the mound. Literally saw one girl creating a little crater a few feet in from of the mound because her foot was replanting and pushing hard from that spot.

May 25, 2021
I am just not fully understanding what I am seeing I guess and how it is legal at this level. It is odd to see them go airborne, land with both feet, and then pitch. We had a high school girl do this during this season and was called every time, girl quit the team and went back to travel ball.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse